Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: The July Tutorial Discussion-Retouching Images

Thanks for the kind words Frances and Gare. Now on to the marbles.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

@Larry—

Take you time, and this is not a "Monthly Assignment". These tutes are very informal—I certainly don't want to be a slave to a timeline, and you shouldn't, either.

If a tutorial of the month sucks, or it's off-target, or needs more explanation, this is where we conduct the repairs.

But this is not a classroom, and I'm never going to tell you to turn over your books and put down the Shape tool.

Cool?

—g

Just to get some more idea of using the soft focus, am I on the right lines here in this image Gary. I've left the three foreground shapes alone and applied s.f. to everything else, altering the focus as they get nearer to the front, if you understand what I mean In other words soft focus decreasing to the front!

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	90971  

You did great, Stygg.

What a pupil!

See, it was impossible for you to restore some of the focus, so your piece doesn't work 100%, but it DOES demonstrate how useful a ClipView shape and the Blur Live Effect can be.

For example, when you want a floor shadow below an object, yep, you could use the Shadow tool, but then the shadow is not as flexible as if you drew one yourself. One way to make a manual floor ("perspective") shadow is with the Feather feature, but another is to blur the vector shape with Live Effects.

Attached is the file for this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G with perspective shadow.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	90975

First, I added a Diffusion Live Effect, and then the Blur. Live Effects work on anything on the page.

Shadows are important to photo retouching. They don't always have to be totally accurate, but if there is one missing altogether—an inaccurate fake or not, people notice that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gare; 18 July 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: I'm an Editor, I edit. What was I supposed to do?

Thanks for the shadow file Gary, that's a really good way for shadows, I've used it in this image. I've tried to balance up the focus a little better in this one but I think applying soft focus is something else you have to work at to get fairly right but I think it looks a little better

Stygg

Name:	Marbles 3.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	90984  

Stygg, you are doing well and are an inspiration.
    @ Gare, I enjoy doing these. Hopefully it will keep the cobwebs out.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thank you for your kind remarks Larry. I've learned a lot in the Xone, far from being a Master with all I have learned, never the less, they are all things I would not have attempted to use or was not aware of. I really enjoy the Xone, there is no pressure, no deadlines just learn at your pace.

Stygg

@ Gary
    I've just realized after looking at the bucket of pistols image, I had missed out completely the squirt trigger and button, so I've drawn another green croc complete with trigger, not great by any means but passable, I think ?

Stygg

Name:	Water Pistols.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	90988  

Exclamation A lighting Micro-tutorial

@Stygg—

You know, in the tutorial video I, too, missed the trigger!

@Larry, "I'm keeping sharp by doing these" is a terrific reason to work through the examples, and actually makes me feel good, too, as though I'm investing time and not blowing it away!

Okay, here's a micro-tutorial along the same them as the blurring example I [proved earlier, that is slightly off-topic for this month, but photographic in nature. I went out to the back yard and too another photo of the water pistols. Attached is a Xara file that has the photo and a Xara shape that looks like tree branches.

Blur the tree branches shape, use the Perspective Mould to cast the tree branches a little, and then use a Blur Live Effect (filter) to make the branches out of focus.

With the Transparency tool, in Stained Glass mode, make the shape partially transparent. It's hard to visualize exactly what you're accomplishing without clipping the brully shape to the background photo, so Select All (Ctrl+A), and then press Q.

What you've done is cast sunlight through suggested tree branches into the scene.

Is this cool or WHAT?!

Name:	shaded example.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	90991

Now don't post an imitation of what I've done. Design your own shadow-casting shape, use your own photo, whatever for an example of 1.)You've learned something and 2.) You can originate and improvise.

And this water pistol photo without the blurry shape is another change to work on your color selection and modifying skills, right?

I'm thinking about Larry here! :)

Ready, steady, go,

Gare
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lightbulb Resource images for PlayTime!

I've attached two JPEG images, one of a single sunflower, and one of a pot of red flowers whose name I can't recall (and Barbara will chime in with the answer summarily).

I have no instructions for these images, but instead I'll leave the Creativity Department up to the individual Xaraist.

Here's two ideas, though...

Name:	retouched.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	90992

So if you can't get outdoors today, bring some outdoors inside!

-g

Name:	Sunflower_1293.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	90993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red-flowers_1281.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	90994  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Resource images for PlayTime!

The red flowers are Zinneas I've got some ideas, just not the time right now, but later I'll give it a go!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.