Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: The July Tutorial Discussion-Retouching Images

That is a fair philosophy I do appreciate, because I am well pleased with my progress up to date and would never have attempted half the things I have learnt in the Zone. Just one more request, more embarrassment, I've deleted your message by mis-take with the link, can you please send again, thank you.

Stygg

I wanted to share an example image I'd created, and actually, "Why not just post it?" occured to me, Stygg!

But I did design it for you, personally, because I see you're learning a lot about this recoloring stuff.

@everyone: if this is too difficult, it takes about 2 minutes to change a texture and render the image again, so please, I'm open to requests, if you're open to more tutorial images.

Right-click to Save As

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-Marbles-small.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	90928

It's just a Xara "X" (cross? ) made up of marbles. There's no "right" or "wrong" in the image. Use your own innovation and creativity to change the image.

My Best,

Gary

I did one but I put a little twist on it to make it look like it's buried in some of the others. Have not done the tic-tac-toe one yet.

Name:	toy bucket.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	90935
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Well done Larry, it took me a few minutes to find it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Just a little change to two of the marbles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xmarbles.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	90939  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

@Bill—

Ambitious and lovely use of color in a situation where the composition really offers no guidance.

Suggestion? There's a live Effect that will create a fisheye lens with shapes and groups of shapes. It might help distort the textures and make them look as photorealistic and the stuff that my modeling program did for me.

@ Larry—

It's flawless, man, from artistic concept through to execution.

I'm very, very pleased that this and other months are proving to be a challenge and a learning experience while still remaining fun.

My Calculus prof in college was absolutely no fun, offered me no entry point to stuff that I occasionally need to know today, but ultimately I think the world's a better place because he was a jerk of a teacher and failed me instead of failing himself.

Because before I fell back on Art as my major, I was going to be a scientist. I'm serious, unlike this video, which is pure speculation:

>>Bouton shows kids Science Lab Safety<<

My Best,

Gary

Thanks for the tip Gary. I don't use Live Effects often and forget how many varied effects there are.

Name:	xmarbles-fisheye.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	90951  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like your effects Bill. I finally had some time to play around with the marbles. I couldn't resist doodling on the paper!

Name:	xmarbles.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	90957
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Here's my two efforts of X-marbles, the second one being a touch of Johansson (if only)

Stygg

Name:	Marbles.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	90965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marbles 2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	90966  

@Stygg—

Very ambitious, very well done!

Folks, now that we aren't afraid to use the Mask tool or themanual method of slicing an are, you already know about ClipViews, so...

If you look carefully at the marbles picture, there's a depth of field going on. The foreground and the background are slightly soft because of the target distance of the "camera" in my modeling program. And this phenomenon does exist when you use a physical focal plane camera.

Entertain the idea of spending a little quality time with a Live Effect—There's a Soften>Soft-Focus Effect you can use to blur either a vector or bitmap selection. Then you use a ClipView to put the blurry object behind an in-focus one.

All of which is easier shown than explained; check out the attachment here.

Name:	af1e8667fd3c0e3327cd27547c6a8a7e.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	90968

@ Everyone

This focus thing is just an introduction to Live Effects, and I'm getting the idea I should devote a video, perhaps September, to some of the advanced stuff you can do with Live Effects. I'm digressing here and moving away from this moth's recoloring adventure, but it's all about image retouching.

And the truth is: unless you want to be a hobbyist for the rest of your life, an artist of any skill level needs to keep pushing their innate talent and expanding their skill set. Back in the early 1990s, right after I had a grasp on CorelDRAW, I took on Photoshop, one a vector, the other an image editor. Why? Because the world takes photos, shares photos, and publishes photos.

And unless you're rich, you're not going to buy Photoshop tomorrow, and even if you did, there's a learning curve. When I cover retouching stuff, it's to get you up and running with tools you already are familiar with. Live Effects came with Xara when you bought it. So there's no reason not to experiment with them, is there?

:)

My Best,

Gary

P.S. @Frances-Use Stained Glass transparency mode at partial opacity to make your flower blend into the paper. Right now it sort of looks like it's floating on top of the page. Sorry! :)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gare; 18 July 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Juptier actualy is a planet and not a vegetable as previously stated.