Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The July photo retouching discussion

Thank you Gary, those eyes were actually very easy to do. They are a group of 3 ellipses that I extruded. Once I had them in place on the photo I just adjusted the angle using the extrusion tool settings and for the fellow with the floppy hair I zoomed in and went to work with the eraser tool/shapebuilder combo to remove the bits that were covered with his hair. I gave the eyes on both figures a shadow to help blend them in to the photo.

I love the cartoon face on the Mountie it goes well with the red serge ceremonial uniform.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The Mountie was an exercise in first removing the actual face and creating (using fractal noise), an approximation of the gentleman's original skin tone. The cartooning then was a matter of keeping the shading accurate which was easy because there's no strong light source in the photo.

By the way, that was taken in Ottawa, when Barbara and I attended the Corel world Design Contest in 1993. I asked the guy to pose and forgot to ask him to sign a Model Release, so his actual face will never be seen, except by local criminals.

irection of the lighting in the picture and your new eyeballs had corresponding highlights.

That's something I'm trying ot get people to notice and follow. Before you draw anything, see where the light is entering the photo. Higlights point toward the light, shadows point away.

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 31 July 2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: When Ben isn't lying to Jack, he lies to himself to keep in practice.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

When i did the talking heads the extrusion tool made it easy to adjust the lighting.

One way I have found to keep lighting acurate and making sure all shadows in an image (and this goes for vector drawings as well as photos or raster images) are correctly aligned with the right angle is to draw some guidelines to help keep the shadows/highlights aligned correctly. Once the shading/highlights are finished the guidelines are removed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Good advice for all, Frances, thank you.

And guidelines can have perspective to suggest 3D in photos.

Why? Because light can come into a scene, and it can exist behind an object, too. So in addition to up, down, left, and right, you got in and out to consider, too, when creating shadows.

Here, the light is coming from the back. The shadow is tricked up, but accurate:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light from the back.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	91252

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 31 July 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Problem between the chair and the keyboard.

Name:	2500a.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	91253
    my attempt

Excellent!

-g

Finally made attempt at bowling primitives. I just used four ellipses for the back shapes and soft focus, the five centre images, I've left a colour on them just to show I have not cheated I think I know now how the original image was created? I hope!

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primitives.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	91258  

You did really well, Stygg, and you learned a new technique, didn't you?

By "original image", you mean the file I uploaded, right? There's a ClipView and snd some image blurring going on, yes.

The origin of the original image is in a modeling program, however. I put a scan of actual handwriting in there to throw people off.

Feel free to flatter me and tell me you thought this was a photograph.

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 01 August 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Long live Swan Station. Whenever.

Yes Gary I do mean the file you uploaded and yes I thought it was a photograph. I certainly have learned something from trying how to figure out how you did it as I kept looking at this file and putting it off but curiosity and wanting to try and re-produce it got the better of me and I'm glad it did, well worth while everyone trying this.

Stygg

Well, even if you're just putting me on, I'm flattered.

:)

Here's a wireframe view of the faux-tography.

Name:	how-done.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	91259

But I'm happier still, that you achieved something using the file.

Learning is always good-like, ya know...

-g