To get back to this month's tutorial, what I tried to do is to let the problem lead to the tools and not the other way around. Me, I don't get a lot out of "survey books", that define a tool or feature and then tell you what it does, and then show you an example.

The examples this month I thought were based on a problem, a need, and where to go from there. Photo-retouching is completely dependent on a specific photo. The Cadillac photo was a need-based retouching job—the company wouldn't let me take the plastic barrier chains off for even three minutes. The sections that needed replacing were so small that Photoshop couldn't be used. I used feathered Fractal noise to replace the parts at almost a microscopic level.

So there are opportunities when the Color Select is appropriate, Magic Erase suits certain needs, Gary P. showed how to use the command to remove "keystoning" from an image that has bad perspective, and the list of tools goes on. I think they've all been covered to some extent.

What I'm trying to do is suggest which ones fit a problem, and then address the problem.

My Best,

Gary