Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

If I fill a selection and add a dymamic effect like drop shadow for instance and I get the little Æ’ symbol and some sub layers. I was wondering if it was possible to squash all the effects together so the layer is not dynamic any more.

I checked Layer>rasterise but it is greyed out.

I have just discovered that I can create an empty layer below it and merge it with this blank layer and I get what I want but it seems like there should be a command to do this. Is there?
    IP

Good question! hmmm I just tried as many options as possible, but always the 'rasterize layer' is grayed out like you said? *scratches head*

You would have thought that if it shows up as an option you could use it! heh

I know you can split the layer effect from its layer (creating a new layer with just the layer effect on it) by using LAYER--LAYER STYLE-->CREATE LAYER, but thats not the same.

Also you can preserve the original layer and effect intact and make a copy of it merged by creating a new layer above the layer with the effect on it, making this new layer the active layer, linking the layer below (the one with the layer effect), then using CTRL--ALT---E.
    This gives you a layer with the effect merged and saves the original 'dynamic' layer.

Will keep looking for an easier way of one clicking and doing what you want. Be interesting to know if its possible

~Vp~
    ~Vp~
    IP

Thelonious...

I believe the method you already mentioned is the only way of achieving your goal -- in PS6.

Whether PS7 makes this simpler is yet to be known.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

It is also the only method I ever read about...
    Great that you found this iout yourself...

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP

Thanks guys, I feel better now.

Every now and again I would fruitlessly search for what seemed so obvious.

It just seemed so unlike photoshop that has about three ways to do everything.
    IP