Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: align stroke option grey out

If I was doing this I would use the Appearance Panel to set fill and stroke weight & position and the text would still be editable. If you could post the link for the tut I could have a look at it and see if I could do it different cos I don't like your instructions when you stated that you used the the "Unite" in the pathfinder.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    If I was doing this I would use the Appearance Panel to set fill and stroke weight & position and the text would still be editable. If you could post the link for the tut I could have a look at it and see if I could do it different cos I don't like your instructions when you stated that you used the the "Unite" in the pathfinder.
    Thanks duceduc,
    Well Peter.
    1. in the tut,we have used the Appearance Panel too.
    2. There are no text in the tut., the "O" is a shape created with the rectangle tool.
    3. At this time before i do the tut. too was that the only solution for the OP problem,(using Exclude in Pathfinder).
    4. Here is the link for the Tut. http://vforvectors.com/create-a-3d-opera-logo/
    Please, let me know, why at this point when you want to apply strocke 5 pt inside is the option for inside and outside grey out.
    Many thanks
    BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432
    IP

The 5pt stroke is to give the large O a look of having a bevelled edge and it is given a glow effect. Had a look at the tut and I think it is over complicated. Using a rectangle with rounded corners and the using a fish eye warp seems over elaborate as well as using a 3D bevel effect with perspective seem unnecessary when you can get the same effect sing ellipses. Will try and do the tut between work and post results. I down loaded the persons file and it still had a clipping masks around the group so that looks wrong according to the tut.
    IP

Thanks Peter,
    That is already what i have meant, (what is wrong? the tut, the version or the users)
    The tut is very difficult and complicate. there are some unnecessery steps like the 3D and the warp effect, i agreed with this.
    The tut is for the beginner but sorry not from the language but from the steps and how complicte ,it will be hard for a beginner to do it.
    I have seen another tut using the 3D too and tried it in Illy CS6 but no way. i gave all the values like the tut, but in CS6 have another 3D object.
    Anyway thanks again for having a look on the tut and iŽam lokking forward for your next post.
    Best regards
    BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432
    IP

Did it the way the tut stated but as I only have CS3 & I take the tut was written for CS5, I struggled to do this for 1 1/4 hours. CS3 lacks some of the describe actions from the pathfinder but it did the job and also the Gaussian Blurs in CS5 was improved so I am not posting my effort. I will tomorrow do my own as there are to many unnecessary steps to this tut and it is fairly straightforward and will post hopefully with instructions if I have time
    IP

Sorry was writing this tutorial up yesterday when we had a power cut and did not feel like doing it a second time that day. Easy tut would not do that way as no need for "Fish-eye warp", 3D effect" and "expanded outline with gradient". Well that is what I think anyway as difference are so small you would not see them at the size drawn in tut.
    Draw large ellipse with the size given.
    Draw small ellipse and edit with the Direct selection Tool
    Make new layer and copy both in to that layer
    Select both and use the Minus in path finder this gives the large O
    Give this resulting shape colour given in tut and save gradient as swatch
    Make a copy of small ellipse and brining it into this second layer
    Draw a smaller ellipse and centre both with align
    With both still selected use the Minus shape in Pathfinder
    Copy this shape and place it in the first layer
    In the main working layer
    give this inside O the colour stated in tut
    Copy or as tut states just copy the large gradient coloured O and paste in front (ctrl+C, ctrl+F)
    Expand this shape from Object menu and remove the fill from the appearance palette
    Give this line a 5pt line of white with transparency of 10% I thought 5 was too light.
    From the Effect menu go out from stylise and give Inner glow with settings given in tut
    Using the Polygon Tool draw a 3 sided triangle at 50n pix. Can't remember if I used the Transform Tool to achieve the 50 pix size. Colour black
    Use Ctrl+Alt drag and copy to the right position
    Use the Transform tool from Object menu and reflect on horz.
    Give white colour
    Give 10 pix gaussian blur from Effects menu. - this looked best using CS3
    Select both and group (ctrl+G)
    Make a copy of inner O and bring to the very front (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+Shift+].) and colour white
    Select the group of triangles + the white O and go to the Transpaency Palette and from the Fly-out select Make Opacity Mask
    Reselect the large "O" shape and make a copy in front (Ctrl+ C > Ctrl+ F) then grab the Ellipse Tool(L), create a 190 by 125px shape
    Select this new shape alonw with the fresh copy and click on the Intersect button from the Pathfinder panel.
    Fill the resulting shape with the linear gradient shown in the fourth image and lower its opacity to 80%. I just used the gradient from swatches and edited that.
    Your shape should be looking good now.
    Copy the small O in the other layer into the shape or drawing layer. Fill it with none and add a 1pt, black stroke. Align it to outside.
    Then go to Object > Expand Appearance.
    Fill the resulting shape with the linear gradient, 237,166,168 - 224,20,72, lower its opacity to 50% and bring it to front (Shift + Control + ] )
    Select the large "O" shape in the shape layer and make two copies in front (Shift + Control + ] ) in your drawing layer.
    Select the top copy and hit the down arrow once.
    Reselect both copies and click on the Minus Front button from the Pathfinder panel. You will get a group with two thin shape so Ungroup.
    Remove the bottom shape.
    Then select the remaining shape. Go to the Appearance, remove the stroke, the effect and keep only one fill. Make it white and lower its opacity to 50%.
    Do exactly the same again, hit Ctrl F twice, (Shift + Control + ] ) and with the top copy selected hit the Up nudge key once
    Select both again click the Minus Front button from the Pathfinder panel. You will get a group with two thin shape so Ungroup.
    Remove the top shape
    Then select the remaining shape. Go to the Appearance, remove the stroke, the effect and keep only one fill. Make it white and lower its opacity to 50%.
    Pick the Ellipse Tool and click on your artboard.. Enter 10 in the width box and 2.5 in the height box then click OK. This will create a 15 by 5px shape. Fill it with R=237 G=166 B=168 Place it on the white line at the bottom.
    Make a copy of this and fill it with white then rotate it and place. I just use the Alt key to make a copy and the Ctrl to constrain it.
    Give both shapes a Gaussian Blur of 5px
    Last thing to do is to draw an ellipse of 90 by 25px shape and fill it with R=71 G=5 B=42 then send it to back (Shift + Control + [ ) and go to Effect > Blur > Gaussian Blur. Enter a 5px radius.
    Using CS3 I am not happy using the Gaussian Blurs and if I was doing this again I would use opacity and masks to get a better effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	O_Vector.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	90883  
    IP