Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Outer glow in Illustrator

Hi guys,
    Attached are 2 pngs of an outer glow, one a vivid red glow and the other an ugly grey one.
    The red outer glow was made using Xara Designer Pro and the grey using Illustrator.
    Tried pretty much every setting in the dialogue box to try an get a vivid orange/red glow effect, but all I get are various shades of grey.
    I have set the raster effects settings to 300 dpi but I cannot get anywhere close to the XDP output.
    Also attached are 2 pdf files, the one named grey glow being my attempt in Illustrator.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for something resembling the first png using Illustrator?
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notes.png 
Views:	1027 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	90892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notes 2.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	90893  

Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Default Re: Outer glow in Illustrator

Maybe it´s not the solution you want, but what about if you create a clone, send it to back, apply a gaussian blur and then apply outer glow.
    BP

Name:	Clone_gaussian blur_outer glow.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	90902  
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432
    IP

Hi Bob, I cannot open your file I do not have CS6
    A quick try with outer glow gives somewhat good results, especially when duplicating the effect.

In Xara "Glow" shadows are quite effective to create this effect, with profile curves as a bonus..

Marc
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bob you have changed the colour as in attachment. Hope I am not treating you rudely here with posting. I should have also said if this is not for print turn your doc. colour mode to RGB

Name:	Out_glow.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	90924  
    Last edited by Albacore; 17 July 2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Missed comment
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread - life gets in the way, sometimes.
    Attached is the result of applying the outer glow effect and then duplicating it in the Appearance Panel.
    I used settings of a 1 pix blur and 80% opacity to achieve this. Would never have guessed that duplicating the effect would make such a dramatic difference.
    I tried exporting the XDP version as an .eps file, but Illustrator didn't handle it at all well.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    Bob.
    I still prefer the XDP version though, it's a shame that Illustrator doesn't like the exported file, which imports to Illustrator as a bitmap with a white background.

Name:	notes.png 
Views:	224 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	90960  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP