Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Navigation Bar Button Issue

Hello. Using Xara Designer Pro X, I've created a 6 button navigation bar with mouse over effects for each button. When the cursor hovers over or clicks on each button, the color of that button changes. That part works fine, but I want the button labeled "Illustrations" also have a submenu. When I hover over or click on that specific button, the color changes, but the submenu doesn't display. What type of link should I have set for this button? I've tried linking the button to just a random symbol (#), which allows for the button to change color, but the submenu doesn't work. Likewise scenario when I link the button to a random page within the site. I've also tried linking the button to NO URL, but then the button color doesn't change (and the submenu doesn't appear either.)

What I want is a button that will change color AND will also display a submenu underneath it. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-08 at 12.26.02 PM.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	90759

Default Re: Navigation Bar Button Issue

Was this created with the NavBar tool or created manually ?

NavBar tutorial

Manual NavBar tutorial

Have you created sub menus for those pages? The parent button should automatically link to the sub pages.

The NavBar was created manually, and I did create submenu links for the pages I want displayed under the button submenu. Even so, the parent button does not display the submenus when previewed. I'm thinking I may need to create two mouse-overs for the parent button (if this is even possible) with one mouse-over showing the color change, and the other showing the submenu.

Did you check out that manual navbar mini tutorial ?

If you create a Navigation Bar using the Navigation Bar Tool, then the sub menus should work.

If not, you need to create your sub-menu on a layer and link your buttons to where you want them to go. The buttons on the nav bar link to the menu layer on which are the drop down menu buttons.

After you check our Drwyd's Manual Nav Bars tutorial () have a look at this recent thread for creating custom drop down menus http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...uided-Tutorial.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 09 July 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Drwyd, Are you referring to a tutorial within the Xara program, or a particular video online? I've checked out a few online videos already, but none so far address my specific issue. I think the solution to my problem, assuming it can even be done, is to assign two mouse-overs to one parent button.

We crossed. Check out the link to Drwyd's Manual Nav Bar and the other link for the files we both posted which will demonstrate how to do what you want to do.

That said, since you have standard buttons, you might do better just to create a single button, then use the Navigation Bar Tool to create a Navigation Bar and then use the Pop-up Menu Style feature to create your drop down menus.

Sorry I missed the links you had posted earlier. I will check them out and report back her with my results. Thank you!