Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy How much can Xara handle?

Hello Xara users, I have been using everything Xara for many years just for the fun of it. Now I am working on the design of a web space for my niece and it contains a large number of bitmaps. Everything works great until I try to export the work, then the Xara program hangs doing nothing and just locks up. Is the amount of graphics too much for Xara to handle? I have to force the program to shut down when this happens, and when it does it pops up an error message that says "Out of memory". I have dual CPU's and 4 gigs of RAM, any ideas on what is going on?

Default Re: How much can Xara handle?

Have you optimized your images ?

Utilities >> Optimize

To elaborate. Many of the images you have in your document may be high resolution images taken with a digital camera. The images only need to be 96dpi and at the size they appear in your document.

For example, I have a digital image that I have reduced to 5 inches. The resolution at this size is 1139dpi and the image size is 7MB!

I optimized the image at 96dpi and now the file size is 61K. So you can see how a few high resolution images can bring Xara to it's knees.

All are optimized, they are all between 12 and 16k.

How big is your .WEB/.XAR file ?

It is 29 megs.

Hmm that's not overly large. It might be worth opening a support ticket with Xara.

Till the issue is resolved you could upload to your server using Filezilla or some other FTP app.

Hang on, I just re-read your first post. It chokes on export not publish. Filezilla wont help. Are there any other applications open when this happens. ?

Quote Originally Posted by zepol View Post
    Hello Xara users, I have been using everything Xara for many years just for the fun of it. Now I am working on the design of a web space for my niece and it contains a large number of bitmaps. Everything works great until I try to export the work, then the Xara program hangs doing nothing and just locks up. Is the amount of graphics too much for Xara to handle? I have to force the program to shut down when this happens, and when it does it pops up an error message that says "Out of memory". I have dual CPU's and 4 gigs of RAM, any ideas on what is going on?
    RAM might be the issue here. If you are running Windows 7 64bit, it will need 2gb on it's own!

Miko, I have gigs of ram. Drwyd, there are no other applications running, and now I get a Xara pop up with this message "Access violation exception at 0x222820c3".

Have you tried a reboot ? Sometimes memory is not released by applications when they close (memory leak)