Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default applying a gradient through multiple objects

I have been following several tutorials learning illustrator but I have not grasp all of its tools and functionalities. How can I achieve similar results with this title image where the gradient is apply through several objects?

http://rufiojones.files.wordpress.co.../voltron-1.jpg
    IP

Default Re: applying a gradient through multiple objects

Are you referring to the middle text (Voltron)?

Mike
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Are you referring to the middle text (Voltron)?

Mike
    Yes.
    IP

Press F1 and in the search box at the top type in "Gradient". When the results come up have a look first at "Gradient Panel Overview" as it shows you a 4 colour example have a read. Also with the same search have a look at the second one down "Create or Modify Gradients" as both of these are important to understand. After having a read of both of them go back into your drawing and with the bitmap visible sample each of the colours on Voltron, saving each as a new swatch. With the lettering selected open the Gradient Panel and on the artboard follow the instructions given in "Create Gradients" starting the top and bottom colours of Voltron from the swatches panel. The second bottom colour could be a grey or dark green and here you will need to move the small diamonds on top of the gradient colour line to get the effect that you want. Please come back if you need any more help but I would suggest that you do a tutorial which is not as hard as the one that you have chosen as they are many which cover the gradient topic.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I try to apply the gradient from what I understand, but I am not getting the result I am after. The transition colors are not lining up with the next letter as shown by my image.

I also tried a different method and I get the same result. I created a rectangle with the same height and width of the object. Created my gradient color for the rectangle. I, then, apply the clipping mask and reapply the gradient.

Rethinking of another way, I can only think of tweaking the gradient slider for each letters so the line of colors will line up going from left to right. That seems like a lot of work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	voltron-logo.png 
Views:	1683 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	90289
    IP

Once you have drawn the individual letters, make them into a compound path. You can add the gradient directly to the object (the lettering). However, if you wish to replicate the look of the original, because it has a bit of a pattern to it, using a larger rectangle to get down how to do it is likely easier.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	voltron-logo.png 
Views:	478 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	90290  
    IP

ah, compound path was the trick. Looks much better. Thanks.
    IP

You're welcome!

Mike
    IP