Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrrrg!

Forgive me, I'm old http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

And I know I have asked this silly question a dozen times http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

I open IE 6 to a full window. I click a link to open a new page (www.graphics.com) which also opens to a full window. I click the Xara Xone link and the new page opens in the Restore Down mode and about 3/4 size.

HOW DO I MAKE NEW WINDOWS OPEN TO FULL SIZE WITHOUT HAVING TO MAXIMIZE EACH TIME?

Sorry for being such a dunderhead.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Hi Gary,

The size of the new window is controlled by the link that opens it. If the link does not specify fullscreen, it defaults to no in IE6. You can read about it here.

Also, IE6 stores the size of the last closed browser in the Registry and a new window will use those values when a new browser or popup window is opened.

Hope that helps.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

you are using a silly software! You should really give Opera a try. Hit F11 and you will run your browser in full screen mode - no distracting menus, just a clean web page. Navigation is done with mouse gestures, a right click will pop up a menu.

http://www.operasoftware.com

You are still young at heart, so pls don't tell us you are old. As we say: you are as old as you feel. So if you feel young, you **are** young. Forget the figures in your passport, they are just in there to keep the beancounters at the border busy ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Soquili

I've had a few web sites for some time now and have never heard of this before and as a result I've never included anything anywhere on the site which sets the size of the window the site should run in. Apart from this I have no problem with the XaraXone site home page - it opens at the size I've set IE6 to work at. Occasionally I do visit sites which downsize the window but these are, or appear to be, very random - and very rare. I'm sorry I just cannot go along with you on this.

Jens

I resent the statement that I, and other like me, are using silly software. I junked Netscape some years ago and since then, on and off, I've been using IE6 interspersed with trials of both Opera (v5 - 7) and Mozilla. Both have their advantages but I'm afraid that I've had too many problems with Opera and its handling of Javascript to move to it on a full time basis. At one time (a few months ago), I started using Mozilla on a full time basis but I started having reservations about that as well and eventually found myself back to using IE6.

I know IE6 isn't perfect but its not that bad, the worst thing (to me) being the amount of stuff it hides on your PC. However, I'm happy that at least I know about it and what to look for (in DOS - I'm still running Win98SE) IF I run out of disk space. By no means can I be described as a fan of Microsoft and I refuse to have their programs on my PC if I can avoid it . I do feel though that there's an awful lot of paranoia about things like security and some of the Microsoft antics. No, some of their antics are not practices we should approve at all and I don't - but as long as I know about it I have no real worries. I DO worry if it poses any threat to my PC and then I take action to ensure the safety of my PC (Outlook Express has never been installed on my PC because of the security issues involved) but otherwise I can cope with it.

Overall, I do find IE6 to be pretty stable - it works for me - and it has none of the foibles over whether its going to play Javascript or not. In short it seems to be a very tolerant program where Javascript is concerned. Opera is very much better than it was but I still have reservations about it.

Finally, before I finish, may I say that if anything I've said above offends you, then I am very sorry - that was not the intention. I am purely trying to put my point of view across. I know what works for me and whilst I will seek advice from this forum, I reserve the right to decide for myself (as I'm sure you do) what works for me and what doesn't.

All the best.
    Tracey

Hi Gary, something similar happened to me a while ago. I visited a site that automatically opened a new window as a popup, it was very small.

Then when I opened any new window in IE they were all the same small size which was really annoying. The way round it is to physically drag the window to full size from a corner, instead of hitting the maximise button. This way I found all new windows were maximised from then on etc.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Finally, before I finish, may I say that if anything I've said above offends you, then I am very sorry - that was not the intention. I am purely trying to put my point of view across. I know what works for me and whilst I will seek advice from this forum, I reserve the right to decide for myself (as I'm sure you do) what works for me and what doesn't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't offend me at all. I personally still run Opera 6.5 because v 7.01 had several code bugs. However, v 7.11 is perfect on Java - finally they could fix it. But currently I'm not in the mood to update my system - it's summer and the garden is too beautiful to stay indoors.

In addition I like apps that leave just a small footprint on my machines - 3 megs for Opera versus 30 megs for MSIE (or does it already exceed this figure?).

I wish the Linux community would code a Galeon for Windows - it's even faster than Opera, smaller and sleeker. But I guess we'll have to wait a loong time to see this happen.

Thumbs up, and clean code for everyone,

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jen...
    F11 function key for full screen in Opera is the same key in IE6.
    --
    Phil
    --
    Phillip

Hi Tracey,

I agree with you. I was only trying to find a possible cause for the problem Gary was having, and searching Microsoft TechNet and Developers Network only gave the results I presented. The only web sites I've created are on my company's intranet and I only used the new window size properties when I needed a small popup for information. Usually I simply provide a link that will open in the existing windows.

Jens - If the makers of Galeon ever make a windows version I will definately use it. I love it on Linux, my favorite of all the Linux browsers.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

"Jen...
    F11 function key for full screen in Opera is the same key in IE6."

Philip, I may be wrong, but I believe the difference is that IE will still clutter the screen with the vertical scroll bar and a toolbar along the top. Opera gives you nothing but the web page. That's one of my main reasons for switching to Opera last year.

.joroho.

http://www.joroho.com/initials.gif
    Wise men still seek Him.

You must REALLY feel silly now that the City of Munchen trashed Microsoft and will be headed for Linux.

You weren't on the City's selection committee were you?

Gross Gut

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Regards, John