Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Installation from CD not smooth

So the disc arrived - thanks Xara - and I uninstalled my download copy of XDP X. Started to reinstall from disc and that's when the fun started. Setup routine seemed to run and complete smoothly, but then on starting XDP I got stuck at the splash screen. I gave it 3 minutes or so after which no indication of anything going on, no hard disk light. Uninstalled and tried again - this time remembering that sometimes "run as administrator" cures hiccups like this. Used this trick on both the installation routine and the first attempt at starting the program. This time, gets as far as the registration confirmation screen but then freezes. Uninstalled again, rebooted the PC, tried a third time to install and now everything goes smoothly, registration completes and - hooray - I'm back into a working copy of XDP. Nip over here to TG expecting to see one or two messages telling of similar problems, but haven't found one yet.

So why post? Well, I can't fathom why any of this happened but the moral is not to give up, because I got there in the end although I haven't a clue why the earlier attempts to install failed. Didn't touch any firewall settings or anything else. Used "custom" install but accepted the default settings it offered. BTW all this is under Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Jon

Default Re: Installation from CD not smooth

Hi Jon

No problems installing the CD version of DPX - worked first time. However I don't remember being asked for my registration details at any point.

Rich
    Authentic IT - Web Design and IT Consultancy, Penzance

Just tried to install from the CD. Get the message "There is already the same or a newer version of XaraDesigner Pro X installed. The installation cannot continue."

Should I uninstall the downloaded version (and if so, why? It always used to work without removing the previous version).

Tim

From postings elsewhere on TG I gather that there's no version update between the latest download version and that on the CD. So there's no need to switch to the CD version. I didn't get the warning message you quote because I'd already uninstalled my downloaded copy... yes, unnecessarily. Simply habit.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for that.

Previously the CD version has had more data on it, but I guess that since the program accesses samples/fonts/templates etc. over the web that isn't so necessary anymore.

Tim.