Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default MP3 Widget in MX Premium

Reading the advert for Web Designer MX Premium, it mentions "MP3 Audio Player - Create websites & listen to music: Present songs or podcasts, e.g. with an audio player as a widget provided in the templates gallery."

I also noted on the listing for another Xara product page that it stated that by simply dragging and dropping an MP3 file onto your webpage that a placeholder would be created that appears as a player. It will play MP3 files in any browser that supports HTML5 and also has native MP3 support. If the browser does not have this functionality, a flash player will automatically be loaded, providing universal play of MP3 files.

This is precisely what I am looking for, but I cannot find it anywhere in MX Premium. I have dragged MP3 files onto my webpages using one of the templates in Designer and a MP3 player tool is created. This will work in IE, but not in Firefox which does not support MP3 natively. Neither is there a flash player loading. I simply get a message stating "File not supported by your browser."

Can you tell me how to access this universal MP3 player feature in MX Premium? I am trying to create a page listing 70 podcasts in MP3 format. I would like visitors to be able to click on any of them and listen to them, or download them.

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: MP3 Widget in MX Premium

Welcome to TalkGraphics

There used to be a bunch of MP3 players (by Magix, Xara's parent organization) in the Designs Gallery, but they appear to have vanished.

You might look at a 3rd part solution such as PodSnacks http://www.podsnack.com/ You can create your player and your songs and then add it to your site via a placeholder (See Help > Placeholder Objects).

Thanks gwpriester. I will look into the podsnack player. I am curious, however, as to why Xara is advertising that they have an mp3 audio player that works in all browsers if such a things does not exist. If you look at the following webpage: http://www.magix.com/ca/xara-web-des...ail/functions/
    which is a new ad for their MX (version 8) web designer, the text states "Present songs or podcasts, e.g. with an audio player as a widget provided in the templates gallery." The key words here are "with an audio player as a widget PROVIDED IN THE TEMPLATES GALLERY." I thought perhaps I was just overlooking it, or that I had to download it as an add-on since I purchased the Internet download version of Designer through Amazon's website.
    Thanks again for the link.

I think there might be a bug as the MAGIX MP3 player worked fine for me (as advertised) up until the latest FF, Safari and Opera updates.
    It still works fine in Chrome and IE9 however.
    HTML5 standards are still a bit flaky, so I'm assuming those browsers have moved the goal posts a little which has upset the MP3 player scripting. Maybe partial HTML5 support isn't enough to cause the player to revert to flash support in those browsers. Hang tight, I'm sure the MAGIX guys are fully aware and are working on an update.

Thanks Sledger. I am using the most recent version of FF, so that may be what is happening. I have a note into Magix Tech Support to see what they can tell me about the mp3 widget.

Here is the rather terse response I received from Xara Tech Support.

There are 2 choices.

1. drag drop an mp3 file into your document.
    2. use the Grooveshark widget from the audio /video folder within the page elements folder of the design gallery

Many thanks

As described, I used option one with unsatisfactory results. Option 2 will not work for me as Grooveshark does not allow a person to list their own podcasts. You have to create a playlist, or choose a song, from the popular music supplied on their website. So, it looks like I will have to use a third party widget, or solution. There is one described on Xara Xone that looks like a fair amount of work, but it might be suitable for my needs.

http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest8...torial%201.htm

Yes, I have reported yours and my findings to Xara, am still waiting for a response.
    Canned answers are not very helpful, I'm hoping for more of an explanation.