Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default xara web design and Frontpage. Will I be able to transfer info one to the other or no

Over a year ago I finished using Frontpage 2002. I found I could not use it for web design anymore. My site has about 70 pages and still works on the web, but its old design and I am looking for another software programme. Ideally it would be good to minimise my effort to drop my old Frontpage site into a new programme. I know its never that easy, but I started the 7 day trial for XaraWeb design Premium and I wondered if Xara could be the best way forward to copy and update my old site. If you know of any impossible issues with this idea then please be frank. If you think its a real possibility then advise me on the best route forward and I can buy version 7 or 8?

Default Re: xara web design and Frontpage. Will I be able to transfer info one to the other o

Web Designer is not a HTML editor so you will not be able to copy from Frontpage. You should not use Frontpage to edit an exported web site create by Web Designer.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: xara web design and Frontpage. Will I be able to transfer info one to the other o

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Web Designer is not a HTML editor so you will not be able to copy from Frontpage.
    WD MX can import your pages from the web (Ctrl+Alt+W) and will retain the layout, graphics and text but not the links.
    So this could be a good starting point for the OP with Web Designer.

Depending upon whether you used functions like themes, forms, navigation bars (aka 'bots'), etc., it may be a relatively easy conversion...or not so easy.

My recommendation is to take this time to simply redesign the site as you learn Xara. You can easily enough copy the text of the site as you build the page right out of your browser.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    WD MX can import your pages from the web (Ctrl+Alt+W) and will retain the layout, graphics and text but not the links.
    So this could be a good starting point for the OP with Web Designer.
    I just tried Ctr+Alt+W. I get an overlapping pile jpegs and no text. It is a start and good that I have the pics in one move. Have you any ideas how I can grab the rather extensive text on the page. I did try copy/paste but I seem to get several long horizontal bands of writing, which at least gets the text on the WD MX page, but it is awkward to sort out. I wonder if I copy/pasted the text in Docs or Word first and then dropped into WD MX. Probably no different?
    Many thanks for your help

I just tried Ctr+Alt+W. I get an overlapping pile jpegs and no text.
    I believe you need Web Designer MX Premium (or Designer Pro X) for this feature to function as I described.

I believe you need Web Designer MX Premium (or Designer Pro X) for this feature to function as I described.
    I seem to have got the text to work. I copy it to the latest version of Word from my old Internet website and then paste into Xara. It seems to work and holds most of the hyperlinks as well. I will look at this further. I decided now to buy xara web design 8 which will arrive from Amazon in a few days.
    I would have liked to see a pages tree diagram like Frontpage, with hyperlinks . I need to know how to store, see the structure, move around pages in this aspect of xaras navigation.

Please don't look for standard and familiar HTML Editor functions in Xara Web Designer, they aren't there. Web Designer is not a HTML editor.

Why don't you post the URL to your current FP built site, that way we can see how the *new feature* (the 'Import text and graphics from web) works for you, ok?

http://outsider.xara.com/tutorials/march12/page5.htm
    Improved Import Text and Graphics from Web Function Now you can not only import text and graphics from an existing website, but Xara arranges the imported objects more or less in the correct position.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 June 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Please don't look for standard and familiar HTML Editor functions in Xara Web Designer, they aren't there. Web Designer is not a HTML editor.

Why don't you post the URL to your current FP built site, that way we can see how the *new feature* (the 'Import text and graphics from web) works for you, ok?

http://outsider.xara.com/tutorials/march12/page5.htm
    Thanks for that. Loads to read here.Yes I will go on experimenting when I get my full software next week. That quote is promising for Frontpagers:

Improved Import Text and Graphics from Web Function Now you can not only import text and graphics from an existing website, but Xara arranges the imported objects more or less in the correct position. I say more or less because scripts, mouse over effects, etc., do make it almost impossible to achieve an exact copy of the page. But it does make recreating an existing page a whole bunch easier. Hidden objects on layers etc., need to be imported separately as well as mouse over states for buttons
    I am trying to find ways of minimising the mountain of work ahead of me to re-vamp my site. Bit of a learning curve ahead with Xara, but it looks like a great piece of software.