Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Photo Security

Default Photo Security

How can I prevent copying of photos in my websites?

Default Re: Photo Security

Short answer: You can't.

Anything on your screen in a browser window has already been copied to the browser's cache on the visitors computer.
    There are tools available for free to view the contents of a browser's cache and extract images.
    Even ye olde right-click save block no longer works with some browsers and neither does blocking the viewing of the source code (to find the image address)

Other methods include covering the image with a transparent rectangle, this way anyone right-clicking an copying will only get a transparent rectangle.
    But, you can still grab the real image from the cache.
    Ultimately you can take a screenshot or press PrintScreen and get a copy this way.

Best practice in my view is to use a watermark and not have images of a size worth stealing for print purposes in the first place.

It's a subject that has been a riddle for many years. You want to show off your best work but you don't want people to nick it, a conundrum at times.

I agree with what Steve states in his reply You could publish the picture as a Flash movie which will stop some people as right clicking will bring up the Flash info.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Flash is less of an option now for websites that are likely to be also viewed on the iPad etc..