Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text as images missing ALT attribute

Need advise please on using special fonts. I've grouped them to export as image rather than text but now my site isn't being searched by Google. After much reading I suspect it is because I've grouped most of the text on my site as image. Can someone point me to a resource that explains how to add ALT attributes on a beginner level? Or is there a better way use special fonts and without Xara converting them?

Default Re: Text as images missing ALT attribute

You add Alt info in the Website Properties > Image menu.

For what it's worth, in WD MX and Designer Pro X (the latest versions) text that is part of a group is automatically added as Alt text.

The downside, unless it has been fixed, is if you have large amount of text it makes a very large Alt tag.

I copied the text from your post, pasted it in Designer Pro X, grouped the text and published the page.

As you can see from the page source that all your text was included as an Alt comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alt-text.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	90439  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 22 June 2012 at 06:50 PM.

I am using Web Designer 6. I group the header, subheadings and paragraphs separately. Will I need to add ALT tags for each of these items individually? Is there a better work around to make using special fonts possible. If not, looking at your example, since my program will not add this tag automatically, I'm not sure if I will know where to put it and exactly how much of your example is part of the alt tag. Does the alt tag begin with alt= and end with height: 355px;"/> where will I get the information at the end. Sorry for so many questions.

If you upgrade to Web Designer MX Premium the new features will create the ALT tags for you.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

that's exactly what I will do...thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    If you upgrade to Web Designer MX Premium the new features will create the ALT tags for you.
    ALT is an attribute, not a 'tag'

If I upgrade to WD MX Premium will I have to rebuilt the sites I've created in Web Designer 6 or will it allow me to pull them in?

You can open your version WD 6 .web files into WD MX, yes.

Thank you so much for the help!