Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default fading pop-up images get 'stuck' up in some browsers

Hi

Anybody else experienced this? (I've searched the site and obviously not found a solution.)

I have a series of popup layers, each containing an enlarged version of an image which pops up with mouseover on the small version. When i set this action to use the fade trasition effect (from "effect..." button on the Mouse-over tab of Web Properties), the popup functions as intended in preview or online but CAN be made to stay up or get 'stuck' up by moving the cursor accross the small 'effector' image really fast. Perhaps especially when the cursor is moved quickly over many of the neighbouring (near but not overlapping) effector images in one swoop. The cursor isn't still over the pop-up image when this hanging happens. Returning the cusor to slowly mouse-over the effector re-activates the popup from scratch and the hanging pop-up image is dealt with. The setting to "close pop-up automatically" is checked. And this happens in FoxyFire and Chrome, but not Explorer.
    When the transition effect is set to "instant" i can't make this behaviour happen. So i might have to downgrade to this 'effect'. But giving the site a slow paced feel by the fade effect is important to me and i'd appreciate any advice.

Cheers
    BS

Default Re: fading pop-up images get 'stuck' up in some browsers

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Can you give us a link to the page on which this is happening? I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing.

Sorry, my describing sucks.

I set up a page with some pop-ups fading and some instant so you can see both.
    http://www.robynhoodridge.co.za/earpieces.htm
    The first 9 (all those above the text) fade and have the issue i described.

Cheers

Yep, I can understand what you are saying.

You have a lot of pop ups and I suspect that there is overlapping on the trigger images which may be the cause of this.

I like the idea but I wonder if it would be better to break the very wide page into a series of pages and give your work some breathing room. Or at the least look at your trigger images in Outline view (Window > Quality > Outline) and make sure the trigger images are not overlapping.

Let us know if this helps.

Actually the popups without the fade seem to work better. Maybe just stick with what works?
    Last edited by gwpriester; 21 June 2012 at 10:48 PM.

All of them pop up instantly for me, no fade effect at all, and no sticking. The page does take quite a while to load completely due to the images being .png. If you change them to .jpg they will load much faster and that may be your problem.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I double checked that the version of the page with this happening was indeed the one hosted at present, by clearing my cache before re-viewing it and by viewing the site on a PC that had never loaded the site before, and both show the fade and the sticking problem. The fade is quite short (set to ~1 sec.) so maybe it just looks similar enough to you? Did you run the cursor over the first icon images with a quick swipe?
    What browser did you view it in? If it was FF or Chrome then i am completely out of ideas on this... Sigh.

I know i have some changing from png to jpg to do throughout the site. Just wanted to get this hassle out the way. I have tried setting these particular popup layers to use jpg, and the issue persists.

BS
    Last edited by BalisticSquirel; 22 June 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: - 'tried something more'

Using IE9 on windows 7 ultimate 64bit - the fading works and as I swipe quickly across the icons, nothing sticks - I think I'm seeing what how you intend it to work -
    Glenn

Yeah glenngosack, i think you are. Thanks for checking for me.

Here's a screen-shot image of the page section with the issue occurring, for anyone who can't imagine what i mean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swept_over_set.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	90435

The other attached images are of the page with no mouse-overs occurring; and with one po-pup up the way it should be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	likeavirgin.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	90433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mouse-over_one_piece.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	90434  

Last edited by BalisticSquirel; 22 June 2012 at 12:09 PM.

My first post was using Firefox 3.6, and there is no fade effect at all. I just tried it on Firefox 12, and the images stick when I mouse over quickly (just run the cursor across the thumbnails). I think it happens when I am going to the next image before the first one has finished loading, but not sure.

Jim

I haven't found what's causing this. Result: i can't use the fade function.

For anyone visiting this thread from now: I've changed everything on the page linked to above. And put up a page the way it was here - http://www.robynhoodridge.co.za/earpieces-4-fade-eg.htm
    I may or may not maintain this page.