Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The June2012 Tutorial Discussion - Planet-Building 101

I guess maybe its me who isn't explaining my problem. If you look at step 8 there is the small ellipse surrounded by other ellipses. What I see in step 9 is that ellipse moved "backwards" so that the other ellipses do not completely surround it. I can only achieve this by actually moving the small ellipse - but then I have to move all the other ellipses to get the figure to look right.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

I think we're getting closer to locating the problem, Grace.

You're talking about building the body of Saturn and not the rings, right? There's more than one Step 8 in the entire tutorial.

The small ellipse surrounded by other ellipses is the result of a Blend operation. You select inside the Blend group by holding Ctrl and then clicking the small oval. Then you can move and scale it and rotating it is a little tricky because you need to expose the rotate handles, but this can be done by enabling the Rotate handles thingy button on the Infobar.

I've put a bitmap screen cap of the button to push inside this file, along with two blend groups for you to work with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81340ed6fc0728cd0b0c036e6b13827d.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	90412

Better? Closer?

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, I got that far. Its just that in Step 9 the light yellow ellipse looks like it is now at the very top , there are no dark rigns showing at the top.Itjust looked to me as though you had somehow rotated into the canvas.
    I will just assume what I have is OK.
    Thanks.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Eventually you're going to Convert this Blend group into editable shapes, at which point you can adjust and re-color any of the child ellipses, grace. So if this remains a problem, you can manually adjust the ellipses shortly after step 8 or 9.

My Best,

Gary