Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First Mobile website

Giant thanks to Abi for the idea and for sharing her template. I translated our new eyeTricks website into a mobile site.

Scan the QR code with your smart phone and view the site in landscape orientation (sideways).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: First Mobile website

Have any of the 106 visitors to this thread been to the website? And if so, any comments?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I don't know about any of the other 105 but I don't happen to have a QR reader on my phone, because I try not to use it for the internet too much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Have any of the 106 visitors to this thread been to the website? And if so, any comments?
    I did scan your code on this page just to test it the other day.
    The result is the same as your other thread on my Galaxy phone.

For those interested in what happens when you scan a QR code via an app on a smart phone: The app starts your phone camera, focuses on the image and reads it.
    If it reads it clearly then the URL is shown and a button to go directly to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC20120619-173219.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	90361

Qr code worked fine and the site displays fine for me in portrait and landscape too.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

I personally think QR codes are butt ugly. But they are very effective on a device which is very difficult to enter a long URL.

QR codes are excellent for a Realator to place on a for sale sign so the person driving by the house for sale can scan the code and go to a mobile designed site with photos and info about the home.

Good job GW, this is something I have been looking for for a while, a way to create a site with Xara that looks OK on a mobile phone. This site is better than the one we looked at earlier from abi, that one kept sliding left and right, not 'locked' in that orientation. This one is the most promising yet, as it seems more 'locked' in portrait mode and fits nicely into my iPhone screen. One slight hiccup with the android version is that it needed a refresh or double tap to get the page to fit and then it was very slightly wide for the screen, and this was a big 4.5 incher, but nicely 'locked' again after that.
    I checked the source-code to see that you used Xara before i got too excited, as I was always hoping there was a way to get Xara involved in my mobile site creation. The menu works very well too, it looks like a great introduction to mobile sites on my favo(u)rite (BRIT living in USA) forum. Thank you for sharing it with us most Emeritus Dude, Sir. ( Too much to ask for details? or is this just a project or would you sell the template to us?)

Andy, it's simple to create your own page template for a mobile site (Gary used 346px wide page).
    WD MX and DPX now include a meta to align the page to mobile viewports, which earlier versions did not.
    Also, you say "android version is that it needed a refresh or double tap to get the page to fit "
    That was not the case on my Galaxy S2 running Gingerbread.

Thanks Andy. Sledger, I have to tap twice on my Windows phone as well. This is not a perfect situation and it would be good if somehow a code could be added to automatically center the page in the mobile device.

Andymack - There is nothing to share that was not in Abi's template. The main thing is to design for the small screen as it were and to simplify when and if possible. A mobile device that has access to a WiFi network will work great. But if the device is using the mobile provider's network, it can be slow to very slow.

If you want to design a mobile site that will be viewed in landscape mode, then make the page width 480 pixels and this will fill the landscape screen of many mobile devices. It is not a perfect solution. Portrait is a better orientation but at the expense of image and text size.

Experiment is probably the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Thanks Andy. Sledger, I have to tap twice on my Windows phone as well. This is not a perfect situation and it would be good if somehow a code could be added to automatically center the page in the mobile device.
    Yes well, this is exactly why Xara's HTMLfilter now adds this on export:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"/>

On load a page will open at 1:1 zoom and be top/left.
    This is one of the new features of version 8 for mobile support.

So maybe it's the browser on your phone which is not understanding this meta?.
    I use Opera mobile.