Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: First Mobile website

Portrait requires a few taps per page. But landscape loads fine. A Windows phone would naturally have IE installed.

This site worked and looked excellent(ly) on my Android phone. The QR code took me right there, the drop-down menu worked perfectly, and the look is great. I'm very impressed. (I did notice one typo, forget which page but there is a "so" where there should be a "some" or something very similar.)

Maybe I missed it, but we really need a tutorial on mobile web sites. (Unless I missed a lot) this is a big hole in Xara's capabilities. I'm sure the pages can be easily designed using Xara but at least I need to know how to identify when a mobile device is viewing and redirecting tips etc.

Mobile sites are very quickly going to be the standard with usage far outpacing sites reached via a computer.

Looking at Gary's own website, now mobile, this is so close to being really usable, it just needs a double-tap to fit it onto the screen then it is perfect. It then stays locked in position in portrait mode and does not slide left or right. The whole thing is nearly perfect, if we can only avoid the initial double tap. I know we are in good hands with GW, if anyone can get Xara to do something, it will be him.

Yes well, this is exactly why Xara's HTMLfilter now adds this on export:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"/>
    sledger - Perhaps this explains why the the site fits perfectly into Landscape mode. Do you think this statement does not effect the Portrait mode and hence the need to tap twice?

I viewed this website on my phone with much anticipation that it would show well, but it has the same problem that i have with viewing the desktop version website i created (www.wellbeyond.com.au) - the text on my website and the text on the eye tricks mobile website do the exact same thing.... the text runs off the page and so the end of the sentances cant be viewed. My phone is Android 4 - ice crem sandwich platform Samsung Galaxy S3. I know they show OK with Iphone but not everyone has one of those. I was going to create another website but am reluctant to touch xara and do it myself until I was able to get it resolved. Anybody have an idea or somewhere they can steer me in the right direction to get the text issue resolved ?
    p.s Ive tried making the text an image which works better but then i dont get search optimisation
    cheers

Kristine

I am not sure how the Android phones work, but did you try viewing the site in landscape orientation?

Or in portrait did you tap once or twice on the screen to make the page fit?

Android doesn't use the same @fontface technic as desktop does or even Iphone/pad
    This means if you use a (non websafe)font on your site it will be subsituted by the nearest websafe font,
    which might be a larger/wider spaced font.
    Therefor the text will run of the screen.
    For more info http://www.fontsquirrel.com/blog/201...-face-problems

Hans

This is great that you guys are discussing Mobile options more frequently, we all agree it is more vital each day as more and more mobile devices are used for web browsing. One of my own clients commissioned me to create a Mobile landing page for his website and I am sure more will be doing so over the coming months. Anyhow, with the help of you guys here, I have created a mobile option for this customer and added a couple of snippets of code that (normally) takes iPhones and Android phones to the Mobile 'optimized' site automatically. I know it works for iPhones and iPads for sure but some Android tablets do not get redirected, which is not too bad, as the mobile sites actually a bit 'amateur'? on a tablet screen.
    I also have a way to enable iPhones and Androids to actually view the full website without redirecting and getting stuck in a loop.
    If anyone is interested in opening a permanent thread, of some sort, regarding Mobile options, I would be really interested in discussing this topic in greater detail. I would also be grateful if you can type in this URL ( or use the QR code) to see if your phone is redirected: www.omegagpstracking.com
    Many thanks for your help with this.
    Attachment 90750

Here is my QR graphic...
    Name:  Omega GPS.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  16.0 KB

Look just like my QR code.

The site works fine. Nice job.

A client of mine discovered that it does not matter how you hold your camera (portrait or landscape) to read the QR code. It must use the three corner squares to determine which way is up.