Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would like to buy a beginner-level DSLR - need help

Hi...

I have been using a point-and-shoot camera with tripod and photo tent to build my gallery on my website (www.stoppersnstuff.net). I continue to be really unhappy with the coloring coming out of the camera (I know that this is not what the p&s cameras are meant for). I would really like to buy a beginner's DSLR that will take truer colored photographs and works well on closeups (within the photo tent). I have been looking at Nikon D3100, D5100, and the Canon rebel t3i. But the problem that I have been reading about is that the standard lens that comes with all of these cameras are not suited for closeups. I realistically spend at least 10 minutes a photo, using Corel Photoshop X4, trying to get the colors more realistic.

I would really appreciate any recommendations that anyone has about which is a better camera to start out with as well as the type of lens I would need to get if I was just buying the camera box and getting the lens separate.

I am hoping to take some camera classes this summer at a local community college after purchasing the camera.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

Dave

Default Re: Would like to buy a beginner-level DSLR - need help

It might be a problem with your lighting rather than the camera. What lighting rig do you have?

Hi....

Thanks for your quick response. I'm not using any artificial lighting... I use natural light under an awning to cut down on the glare.

Dave

How about a before and after?

I usually clear out my Corel auto-preserve but I did find one that is fairly representative... This is an ambrosia maple bowl... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ambrosia Maple Bowl.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	90177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ambrosia Maple Bowl - sign2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	90178.

The one designated sign2 is the result after lightening it up a bit and cutting down on the color. It's still not completely accurate but it is closer to the actual color. The problem also is that the coloring and lightness/darkness of the woods I photograph were not consistant, even during the same day. It's really frustrating.

I have shown my photos to a professional sports photographer and he agrees that the quality of the photos are not good. He did say that often it was the person behind the lens, which I can probably concur with, but he also said that the sensors in the p&s cameras are not normally configured for closeup shots... I always check the white balance to ensure that I am specifying full sun or shade (depending on the light).

Thanks in advance.

Dave

My feeling is that you'd be better off with a better lighting system, rather than an expensive camera. If you do a lot of product photography you can make or buy a simple lightbox, to evenly light the product. It can be as simple as a couple of natural light bulbs and a sheet.

I can't help but think that buying a new camera might leave you in the same place.

The image shows quite a harsh shadow. Is the natural light very bright, or was it a flash?

I think some experiments with a light sheet and some home made foil refectors could boost the image. You can buy pop-up white boxes, designed for just this kind of work.

This product shot shows the kind of arrangement people use to take product shots: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Platin.../ref=pd_cp_p_2 . I am not endorsing that product.

You could also ask a photography student or member of a local photography society to come over and give you a few ideas. If Nothing else, you can see how much difference using a better DSLR would be.

Nice woodwork!

Thanks for everyone's responses. I am using a lightbox with a gradient background (Cowboy studio). The photo was taken on our back porch with natural light. The light was indirect. I was using a sony DSC-W60 point and shoot. I had modified the white balance to specify natural light (cloudy). When i first got the cowboy studio light box with lights (they were the energy saver bulbs) I tried it indoors with and without the flash. In both cases I modified the white balance to indoor incandescent and the colors were terrible. I got bad glare from the flash. I moved the camera further back and used the zoom. Unfortunately by the time I was able to eliminate the glare, the optical zoom went to digital and the photos were very grainy. That's why i started to take the photos outdoors.

One point that I did not mention earlier... at a craft show we did last weekend, that I showed my works, a photographer with a canon rebel t2i came by the booth and wanted to take a couple of pictures. I told him of course if he wouldn't mind emailing them to me. He agreed. Curiously, standing about 2 feet away from the wood (under our tent in shade) the photos (against a black background) were spot on. The color was exact. I guess that is why I thought part of my problem was the point and shoot camera. I had my camera with me at the show and I proceeded to take a photo of the same woods. I adjusted the white balance to reflect outdoor shade, and took the photos. The color of the wood was off. The photographer then tried to take the photos using my camera. He left the white balance as it was, but started messing around with the EV mode (not sure what that is). He was able to get closer to the actual color, but it still was not that close. He suggested that the point and shoot cameras normally do not have as accurate sensor which could account for the difference.

I know some of this has to be my doing, but the coloration of the wood is so off, that I have to believe that some of that is the camera. On the photos that I submitted earlier, notice that I lightened up the second photo to more accurately represent the color of the wood. But the background ended up more blue than grey (which I don't really understand).

Thanks again.. This has been a big learning experience for me so far.

Dave
    Last edited by mvssysprog; 10 June 2012 at 08:12 PM.

Hi Dave

A couple of ideas for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNxBGXTbdXE

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

I would go for daylight LED bulbs for correct colour and safety. Hot bulbs and combustible materials don't mix.

Hi Drwyd....

I am already using a Cowboy studio light tent. I originally took photos indoors using the lights supplied with the light tent, but the color of the wood was off.. that's why I tried to use the light tent out on our porch using natural light.

Dave