Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Where is the IFrame & How do I embed HTML code?

Hi. Where is the iframe in Designer Pro X, and how do I embed HTML code? I looked in the help and cannot find anything on them. I am used to just dragging an iframe or an HTML frame onto my page, but I don't see them in the Design Gallery.

Keith

Default Re: Where is the IFrame & How do I embed HTML code?

Design Gallery > Page Elements > Other Widgets > Embed a website

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Design Gallery > Page Elements > Other Widgets > Embed a website
    Thanks Drwyd for the response. I saw that widget. I realize that it is just an iframe, but it only seems to ask for a website URL. What about for the other times to use an iframe other than embedding a website.

As far as for the HtML code, I think I found in the PDF that one just copies the code on the page using the selector tool and then Xara will make the place holder for it automatically. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    Thanks Drwyd for the response. I saw that widget. I realize that it is just an iframe, but it only seems to ask for a website URL. What about for the other times to use an iframe other than embedding a website.

As far as for the HtML code, I think I found in the PDF that one just copies the code on the page using the selector tool and then Xara will make the place holder for it automatically. Is that correct?
    The purpose of an iframe is to load the contents of another html page (document) into the parent page via it's URL and have it appear as part of the parent page. There is no other purpose or any HTML code entered into the iframe src.
    The widget just makes it all easier as you don't have to type the tag and attributes into the placeholder properties as well.

Edit: I see you asked about HTML code (snippets) as well as iframes...
    This very much depends on the code you want to embed. Can you give us an example?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The purpose of an iframe is to load the contents of another html page (document) into the parent page via it's URL and have it appear as part of the parent page. There is no other purpose or any HTML code entered into the iframe src.
    The widget just makes it all easier as you don't have to type the tag and attributes into the placeholder properties as well.

Edit: I see you asked about HTML code (snippets) as well as iframes...
    This very much depends on the code you want to embed. Can you give us an example?
    Thanks for the info on the iframe; I am learning: I thought it was used for more. I know one of the other web builder I have used would have an option to open your link (of what ever one was linking) in a new page, a lightbox, a pop up window, and iframe, etc. I never tried it, but I always saw the iframe choice in there. I guess I also thought that when I saw people's web sites with a text box that had a scroll bar to scroll the hidden text, it was an iframe they were using. I was wrong though, I now realize.

As for the code to embed, I did not have any particular thing in mind at this time for immediate use. I am trying to learn the software and visualize how I want my site to turn out; part of that is learning what is possible and not possible, and then I guess learning the work arounds. I know there is a google map widget and also a youtube widget in the program, but I know they can also be embedded as well. I also see websites every once in a while that say one can embed something on your site; so I was just getting prepared for whatever comes up. Again learning how a new program works. But I think I found the answer in the PDF on that point.

Sledger, I do have one more question though that would immediately help me. How should I order my pages in the page and layer gallery? By that I mean: I know that all the pages are listed in a single row vertically, with no sub pages. I don't like it, but I will learn to work around it. Now, I know that I could technically visualize my sub pages by using the navigation properties deal (which actually looks like a normal site manager--too bad they didn't design the page and layer gallery this way). So say that I have 4 parent pages:

1) home
    2)about
    3) christian writings
    4) Contact

Now say that under Christian Writings, I have 9 writings. In the page and layer gallery, should I put the nine writings following the Christian Writings page, followed by the Contact page, or should I put all 4 parent pages first, followed by the 9 writings? I will eventually have many, many sub-pages and sub-pages of sub-pages.

Thanks for the advice.

--Keith

I guess I also thought that when I saw people's web sites with a text box that had a scroll bar to scroll the hidden text, it was an iframe they were using.
    This is correct, not wrong. If your iframe H/W is set to pixels rather than 100%, then anything that doesn't fit in the give area will be available via a scroll bar when scrolling is set to 'auto'.

Of course, a scrolling DIV can also be used, but this requires rather more manual editing than an iframe.

I found the answer in the PDF on that point.
    Well yes, there are many ways to import and embed html snippets, though I'm not quite clear what you mean't by (or are understanding) with ; "one just copies the code on the page using the selector tool".

Sledger, I do have one more question though that would immediately help me. How should I order my pages in the page and layer gallery? By that I mean: I know that all the pages are listed in a single row vertically, with no sub pages. I don't like it, but I will learn to work around it. Now, I know that I could technically visualize my sub pages by using the navigation properties deal (which actually looks like a normal site manager--too bad they didn't design the page and layer gallery this way). So say that I have 4 parent pages:

1) home
    2)about
    3) christian writings
    4) Contact

Now say that under Christian Writings, I have 9 writings. In the page and layer gallery, should I put the nine writings following the Christian Writings page, followed by the Contact page, or should I put all 4 parent pages first, followed by the 9 writings? I will eventually have many, many sub-pages and sub-pages of sub-pages.
    Keith, I would encourage you to start a new thread on this last point because this thread is about iframes & HTML. Changing topics midway makes it difficult for future searches.
    Though I do believe you asked this question before, no?