Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default DecoDividers, a Pi(cture) font

The typeface that Gary worked on has been identified and has an owner.

DecoDividers, a picture font by Denise Clendenin, ©Copyright 1998

These lovely ornamental dividers will surely be useful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	classicdividers.jpg 
Views:	923 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	89923
    Last edited by Gare; 02 October 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Classic Dividers Pi

Thank you. Those are great!
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    ... There were no credits in the original font file and searches for it have turned up nothing. ...
    That is not really true angelize. This Classic Dividers Pi font is the DecoDeviders, Copyright 12/23/98 Created by Denise Clendenin which font only uses the characters A-S. Gary Bouton has repeated the A-G range in the T-Z range with the oddity of placing the copy of the F not under the Y but under the florin. The lower case is a repetition of the upper case with the exception of the f, now repeated under the y.

Name:	decodeviders_vs_classicdeviderspi.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	98809

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello koeiekat,
    Thanks for this information. We are looking into this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by koeiekat View Post
    That is not really true angelize.
    Welcome to TalkGraphics koeiekat, and what angelize reported was exactly true, she quoted me word-for word.

I'm not excatly understanding why we're pursuing a free font's origin (um, because it's free and we certainly can put a link on this thread), but I'll play along here.

Let me back up for a moment, and I'm absolutely sure Denise Clendenin created the typeface. She simply left the credits blank on the Font Info page and Fontographer took the credit. Nowhere within the font did Ms. Clendenin credit herself.

Name:	no credits.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	98835

I make typefaces myself, I use FontLab just as I can see the program in your screen capture, and I go out of my way to locate an unknown author or an author with no contact information before I post a typeface. The first thing I look for is font info in FontLab, and failing that, I look online.

Now, because whoever appropriated the font and renamed it "Classic Dividers", my search turned up nothing. And so I spent a lot of time—my own time—restoring this train wreck of a font to a state that I and others could use as part of our design work.

Moreover, just not to step on anyone's toes, I asked angelize to post an additional " If the original classic dividers font was your work and you feel we have violated any copyrights please use the report post button at the bottom left to notify forum moderators." Now if that's not an adequate C.Y.A. for a volunteer organization, and for someone who has personally been ripped off several times (so I know how an author feels), I don't know what is.

koeiekat: if you feel I've done an injustice to Ms. Clendenin, why didn't you contact her herself, and ask her to post a notice? Angelize has tried to contact her without success, but it's not that big a deal to de-post this font if anyone has violated a copyright.

Actually, as I corrected certain areas of the glyphs and reassigned control points I did notice that the design of the glyphs themselves are most likely from a book. No typographer lets path segments go flat when their mirror image is rounded, like so.

Name:	straight path.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	98834

I suspect Fontographer or a scanner auto-traced the glyphs from a source to Fontographer, which explains the lack of finesse and multitude of nodes on the glyphs.

I'm sorry if I'm not my cordial self here, but I don't like it when it's insinuated that I distribute misinformation or my sources aren't true.

-g

I am sorry I have upset you Gary. That was not my intention at all. I stumbled on this thread and saw the remark that the author of the font was unknown. As I knew who was the author I mentioned that and should have left it at that. But I didn't, sorry again.
    The author info is not in the copyright line where it should (of course) be but in the version info line and that is, indeed, confusing.

On the Decodividers font/dingbat itself, yes, it is a quick and dirty crappy thing with crappy tracing from a crappy low resolution scan and it has numerous errors. Many less important but far too many that are important like contours with direction errors and intersecting coordinates and contours. I did see that you have dealt with quite a lot of those. The down-scaling, however, seems to have added other errors again.

Have fun
    kk

Quote Originally Posted by koeiekat View Post
    I am sorry I have upset you Gary. That was not my intention at all. I stumbled on this thread and saw the remark that the author of the font was unknown.
    Hey, it’s all good, kk. I feel we both might have gotten off to a bad start here.
    I think that because the creator has been identified, rather than posting my work on the font, we should provide a direct link, thus.

DecoDividers, a picture font by Denise Clendenin, ©Copyright 1998

Name:	DecoDividers.jpg 
Views:	2940 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	98889

I’m removing my version of the typeface, and sooner or later, I’ll post a dividers/devices Pi font based on high-res scans from a Public Domain specimen book. I think they’re interesting enough to bother manually tracing them from scans.

Name:	devices.jpg 
Views:	2005 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	98890

My Best,

Gary