Quote Originally Posted by koeiekat View Post
That is not really true angelize.
Welcome to TalkGraphics koeiekat, and what angelize reported was exactly true, she quoted me word-for word.

I'm not excatly understanding why we're pursuing a free font's origin (um, because it's free and we certainly can put a link on this thread), but I'll play along here.

Let me back up for a moment, and I'm absolutely sure Denise Clendenin created the typeface. She simply left the credits blank on the Font Info page and Fontographer took the credit. Nowhere within the font did Ms. Clendenin credit herself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no credits.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	98835

I make typefaces myself, I use FontLab just as I can see the program in your screen capture, and I go out of my way to locate an unknown author or an author with no contact information before I post a typeface. The first thing I look for is font info in FontLab, and failing that, I look online.

Now, because whoever appropriated the font and renamed it "Classic Dividers", my search turned up nothing. And so I spent a lot of time—my own time—restoring this train wreck of a font to a state that I and others could use as part of our design work.

Moreover, just not to step on anyone's toes, I asked angelize to post an additional " If the original classic dividers font was your work and you feel we have violated any copyrights please use the report post button at the bottom left to notify forum moderators." Now if that's not an adequate C.Y.A. for a volunteer organization, and for someone who has personally been ripped off several times (so I know how an author feels), I don't know what is.

koeiekat: if you feel I've done an injustice to Ms. Clendenin, why didn't you contact her herself, and ask her to post a notice? Angelize has tried to contact her without success, but it's not that big a deal to de-post this font if anyone has violated a copyright.

Actually, as I corrected certain areas of the glyphs and reassigned control points I did notice that the design of the glyphs themselves are most likely from a book. No typographer lets path segments go flat when their mirror image is rounded, like so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	straight path.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	98834

I suspect Fontographer or a scanner auto-traced the glyphs from a source to Fontographer, which explains the lack of finesse and multitude of nodes on the glyphs.

I'm sorry if I'm not my cordial self here, but I don't like it when it's insinuated that I distribute misinformation or my sources aren't true.

-g