Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Purchased Designer Pro X - design gallery problem - its nearly empty of files!

Hi Folks, can anyone help or suggest a way to sort this problem out.

I bought Designer Pro X, installed it on my windows 7 pro computer and used the content installer and pan studio installer - problem is my design gallery its nearly empty of files! I have now run the content installer over 10 times and a few more files pop into the design gallery folders. But most are still empty. I raised a ticket about this and I was asked a few questions but since then no response from Xara. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, run the content installer and repaired the program many times with little success. I have no fancy firewall or other security software that would stop these files loading.

This is also very unlike Xara software as I have been buying their software for over 10 years now and upgraded every year and any ticket I have raised in the past has had a prompt reply and successful outcome.

Anyone else have this problem or a idea why its happening and how to get content into the design gallery folders?

Thanks

Mike

Default Re: Purchased Designer Pro X - design gallery problem - its nearly empty of files!

Long weekend, Xara support will contact you from Tuesday on.

Remember that DPX is now 100% server linked for Gallery designs, once you get your CD you will have much more available locally.
    But it does sound like you're experiencing some problems.. Have you checked your Firewall exceptions?

Default Re: Purchased Designer Pro X - design gallery problem - its nearly empty of files!

Hi Sledger

Thanks for the prompt reply - I have had firewall, antivirus, malware programs everything turned off and it still will not load everything at once. You say DPX is '100% server linked' for gallery designs can you explain a bit more on this please, do you mean if I have no internet connection my design gallery will be completey empty? What happens if I have no internet connection? I live deep in the country and my broadband speed is about 0.5mb and it takes about 20mins to download the files for the content installer and I have had to do this many times over the weekend so you can imagine my frustration.

The new program has a lot of tricks that I want to use and I want to get it running smoothly so I can depend on it.

Thanks

Mike

P.S. I just noticed that the folders in the design gallery that open directly have some content and in the design gallery folders that open to other folders, the other folders have no content. ie if I go to clipart and the business folder it has content whereas if I go to clipart and the comic folder the 6 subfolders in comic have no content.

See ► https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.sfcbfvufw989

Under: Other improvements
    The Design Gallery is now completely server linked, so we can update and add more templates, clipart, etc.
    Further to this, I asked Xara for a little more information and received this response;

Here's an attempt at answering these points by describing some of the new DG behaviour implemented in V8

If you are online and the clipart is installed in the program location (e.g. once the CD is installed) the web clipart is loaded and displayed as normal, however the local clipart will be used as the source for files and thumbnails (as long as the online versions are the same). This prevents downloading lots of files / thumbs that you already have locally.

The online indexes contain a checksum for each file so if a file is updated on our servers, the web clipart will no longer try to access the file locally and will attempt to download the new file instead.

So basically the DG should only download content that has changed since the installed version.

If the program is run offline (and installed clipart exists), there are two scenarios:

Firstly, if the web cache folder root is not found (e.g. if the PC has never been online or the folder was deleted) the program will fall back to the installed version. You can see this scenario in the image below - the local folders are displayed in green.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DG-Offline.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	89854

Secondly, if run offline and the web cache folder is found, it still shows the (blue) web cache folder. This is because you may have
    downloaded new/changed items from the server, and you would want to pick up these changes even when running offline.

If you want to force the program to display installed files, then there is also a new registry option :

Options\Libraries->AlwaysShowInstallationClipart

Set this to "1" to force the installed clipart to be shown.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Hi, I may have stumbled across how to fix my problem. Last night I went to the Design Gallery side window and under 'more' I clicked 'empty designs cache' - this emptied all the folders and then started to rebuild them. I now have templates in all the folders. Problem solved.

Many thanks Sledger and Marc for the info and help.

Mike