Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Designer Pro X - new Text Tool fly-out menu

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    whilst I can see the argument, it is quite possible that infobar button coding is integral to their tool coding - true some, eg 'reverse path', 'scale line width' and 'lock aspect ratio' whose actions persist would be useful to have globally but I'm thinking that this may involve a heck of a lot of work programming-wise and be fraught with potential bug-inducing situations...
    No, not as I read it. The info bar itself doesn't need to be customizable, but that any and all commands should be available as single buttons via the button palette so one can customize the button bars one can currently customize--which is abotu any other than the context sensitive infobar.

Take care, Mike

yes - but for a start [allowing for duplicates] there are around 300 commands you can set in keyboard shortcuts in designer pro, plus many more you can't - thats a lot of buttons... [and a lot of icons too many of which are too similar already]

if a command is in the shortcut list it probably can be given a floating button, all else being equal, so that would apply to 'reverse path' amd 'lock aspect' - but not to 'scale line width' which does not appear to be there

it's not a given that because a command exists when a certain tool is active and can be initiated from the info bar, that it could be intiated from another part of the UI, that's all I'm saying - some can I'm sure, but I'd like to bet that some would prove difficult
    Last edited by handrawn; 15 June 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add 'floating'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ...but I'm thinking that this may involve a heck of a lot of work programming-wise and be fraught with potential bug-inducing situations...
    As someone who has programmed, I fail to see how the InfoBar buttons are any different from the other command bar buttons. But then, without knowledge of the code and architecture, such judgments are best left the to actual coders. It's up to the developers to assess the complexity of an implementation.

However, this is a user suggestion forum after all. In any event, my suggestion was only for the buttons already present on the Infobar (not all commands) to be made available for custom bars. They could be disabled and enabled when appropriate in the same way other buttons behave.

Yes it is not possible to know how difficult or otherwise it would be for sure without knowing the code and the architechture

But it is likely that if a function is only useable when a tool is selected [say because its code is a modular part of the tool code, only loaded into memory when the tool is], then there will be issues

yes it is a user suggestion forum - but it's open to comments as well - and strictly this thread is about the text tool flyout only, so buttons in general is OT and should be in its own thread ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Tracking and Line Spacing is what I use the most.
    Personally, I have no need for the 'Style' box and it's taking up space for nothing (for me) and I can't remove it, like you can with other items.
    Also, the options available in the text flyout are not available on their own.

Regarding the Text Tool, I wish I could set things up the way they were in XDP7.

Why can't users be allowed to set things up the way they want?
    Is that not better for work-flow?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Text Styles can be used to save custom tracking and line spacing settings as well as headlines etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks Xara

In the latest update (8.1.2) you can go back to having everything showing up on one line, but you do need to change one thing in the registry (SuperWideInfobar).

Here's how to do that:
    http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2989

Another thing I'd like to suggest to enhance the text tool is adding icons for the Tracking and Kerning, basically like in version 7.

Now I find myself hovering the cursor over one of the two and reading the tool-tip popup to see if I'm going to modify the right one.
    Adding these icons will remove the guesswork for the user. I suspect these icons were also removed to safe space.

I do like the simplicity of the Baseline shift triangles, spaced further apart than necesary to illustrate what they'll do. Simple, but very effective.

I've added an image to illustrate, the two added icons are shown in red.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text tool screenshots.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	91093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text tool 1.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	91092

Thanks for that link to the registry tweak. I am a happier person.

Grand!!

Me happy also.

Marc

How Fab!