Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: x-View

Hi Sean, folks...

Thanks for that explanation Sean, it's pretty much what i suspected it would be. But i'm glad i know it now.

Are you referring to different "levels" of the AI format Sean? (that's what i'm thinking you mean) Or just different versions of a simple AI file? - i.e. various sizes, etc.

Thanks again.
    Mark...

Sean

I was putting together a bug report in the office, but I didn't get to finish. What's happening to you with QVP 6 is also happening with QVP 5. What I haven't been able to track down is why it seemed to be working when I first installed it. I recall viewing more than two at a time, and I certainly never saw the error message while I was trying it out that night. The only conclusion I can come to in retrospect is that it must have been an illusion since I was also experimenting with IrfanView and my file manager.

Allison

Mark

Different levels / types of AI files please - I don't have AI so I don't know what options there are. X's current version seems to be 7 but still doesn't have an embedded preview. Is it an option in AI? Do the files preview when you try and open them in AI?

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I got the IrfanView keyboard shortcut turned off through the shortcut properties, so IrfanView is back on my system. I uninstalled QVP while I was trying to figure out why x-view seemed to work with it one time and not the next.

QVP has always opened a separate window for each graphic I select in my file manager and then view by selecting QVP on the rightclick menu. I've always had to close the window manually for each such instance. Is QVP 6 losing track only for x-view, or is it a problem for other file types as well?

In previous versions of PowerDesk and in the current free version, the QV viewers were integrated in such a way that the viewer worked through PowerDesk's viewer pane and a separate window was unnecessary. When I updated QVP, PowerDesk accessed the additional viewers transparently.

I'm now using PowerDesk Pro, which integrates the INSO viewers directly. The last time I tried it, updating the QV viewers didn't seem to update the viewers PD Pro was using, which is another reason I haven't upgraded to QVP 6.

Allison

x-View launches the viewer and monitors when it closes down so the temporary GIF/TIF x-V creates can be deleted. Because QVP remains in memory, new instances started by x-V are immediately closed so x-V thinks that the GIF/TIF is no longer needed and deletes it before QVP can find it. QVP behaves differently depending on how you configure it and there are a number of combinations that appear to work, possibly explaining your initial impression. Unfortunately, the working scenarios usually leave undeleted temporary files and seem not to work reliably.

That problem is strictly related to x-View's temporary files and should be solved in a future version. QVP's inability to use an open window is its own failing. You'd think that after 6 years of development and having invented the concept they'd have come up with something better. I can't understand why it bothers to stay in memory if it's not going to do something intelligent. A loss of resources with no significant gain (I also think someone spent waaay too much time on the animated pin ;-).

QVP deliberately makes its viewers incompatible with QV to prevent you extracting them from the demo and using them without paying. As an aside, you may be interested in the response I got from Unisys about creating my own GIF/TIF viewer:
    <blockquote>With respect to freeware, you would be responsible for a minimum license fee of 15 or 25 cents for every copy you distribute or authorise use of. A non-refundable advance royalty payment is payable at the time the license agreement is entered.</blockquote>
    The advance royalty(?) is in the $1000 - $2000 range, so I wonder how Irfan funds his?

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Animated pin??!!?

That sounds like yet another reason to forego the upgrade to QVP6. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

As for the gif royalties, I'd heard that they were considering something like that. Ouch! Certainly limits the development of new products, doesn't it?

Allison