Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Create Seamless Patterns in Xara Designer Pro X

I'm seeing a lot of positive effort on this thread.

By the way, because the final tile is going to be a bitmap, you can, in fact, use masked bitmaps as repeating elements.

I already had two bitmaps trimmed, from years ago in Photoshop, but I use Xara practically daily to make refined, accurate image masks. You nudge imported photos exactly as you do vector shapes you draw. Or make a combination of elements.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shower curtain.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	89637

-g
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Create Seamless Patterns in Xara Designer Pro X

Here is another one from me. I used two plugins for this one, first I added noise to my background with Xara's add noise filter and I used Eye Candy 6 Chrome for the gold spirals.

I found that the noise plugin caused some anti aliasing which resulted in a white seam so to work around that I cloned my noisy background square and resized it big enough to cover everything and sent it to the back then when I created my tile the anti aliasing blended with the background and seam gone

Name:	gold swirls.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	89644
    Last edited by angelize; 21 May 2012 at 12:43 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Okay, while I am still logged on, I will present my feeble effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feeling dizzy.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	89645  
    .............frank

Not feeble at all, Seagull, although you're right—it makes me lean a little to the right while looking at it!

Free yourself up a little, seagull. Make the pattern elements different sizes and don't be afraid to nudge some elements off the background. In the tutorial, I wanted to suggest that a pattern doesn't have to look regularly spaced.

Frances just posted a nice one that looks asymmetrical. It's one of many ways to go; have fun, let's see some more from you, and thanks for posting!

My Best,

Gary

Name:	XUtile.png 
Views:	432 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	89647  

Yeah, it is busy, for sure, it is busy. I was debating whether to call it dizzy or mal de mer (vomit), but seening how this is a family show I went for dizzy. However, I was basically trying for this effect instead of the random pattern which you showed on the tutorial and which everybody else is doing. I was just wondering if the technique could be used to create, for example, a plait pattern like on a kilt. I am not exactly sure if I have proved my point or not but I'm kind of thinking it can. A nice, soft, pastal plait could make a nice background for a web site was where my mind was at. And with that tongue twister I will bid you a goodnight
    .............frank

It's a nice one Seagull, but I'm not sure it will tile seamlessly...
    Guy -

I love these tools

Thanks, Steve!

That's a great pattern idea; it should spawn dozens of variations.

Name:  tgsmall.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  36.6 KB

Seriously, though, aside from self-promotions, you can use the seamless tiling technique to create web page backgrounds of corporate logos for clients.

Name:	xx.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	89656

Our Xara Xone channel on YouTube uses a subtle one. Which took me quite a while to map out as an intricate pattern. It's not supposed to hit you over the head, but instead serve as a gentle reinforcement of name branding.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gare; 21 May 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Hello Guy

"It's a nice one Seagull, but I'm not sure it will tile seamlessly... "

Actually, that is a seamless tile, created exactly as the tutorial. I would never use anything like this myself outside of as a learning experience, but tone the colours down, get rid of the circles, perhaps change the black cross to red with a heavy black outline, a green line or two and I think it may turn into a plait.

Name:	Not so dizzy.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	89657  
    .............frank

Just a heads-up for everyone:

If you're going to post a seamless pattern, and you expect a member to download it and check it out—

Upload a zipped PNG, or the original Xara file. When TalkGraphics content manager or you convert a bitmap to JPEG, JPEG loses some of the original details when it compresses a copy, and sometimes the copy won't tile properly because of JPEG artifacting.

My Best,

Gary