Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default More from the canals of Birmingham

Another mildly post-processed shot taken in the almost-secret world of Birmingham's city centre canals. In spring or summer this tunnel is in darkness - I know because I walk through it as part of my daily commute. But for a week or so in winter, the sun is just low enough and positioned correctly to shine right through. Lumix compact which I carried every day awaiting the right combination of celestial mechanics and British weather, processed through ACDSee Pro 5 which is a recent acquisition that I've really taken to (especially the detailed exposure adjustment that is possible, plus the built-in RAW support).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birmingham canal 2.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	89576

Jon
    IP

Default Re: More from the canals of Birmingham

More mystical than dreary invisible ley lines and stonehenge rolled into one, the alignment of the sun with Birmingham's subterranean canal sytem.
    I went to art college just up the top there if its where I think it is. Best cheese on toast in the city in the art school canteen.
    Derek
    IP

Hi Derek
    Exact location for this one is Birmingham & Fazeley Canal, tunnel underneath Newhall Street, facing SW. That is, looking up the lock flight towards what is now University College Birmingham and the National Indoor Arena etc. A strange interface of old and new - if you turn through 180 degrees at this point, there's a 1970s office block on stilts over the top of a 1780s waterway. A strangely peaceful spot, with a slight but ever-present danger of being mown down by a determined towpath cyclist.
    Jon
    IP

That's a VERY good photograph. Love looking at your pictures, being half a world away in California. Fascinating that you are living with the remains of the Industrial Revolution all around, still tangible, still there to make a record of before urban renewal sweeps them away.

More pictures!
    IP

Thanks, Jon, glad you enjoyed. Will post something else soon. I have long browsed TG and drawn inspiration from others who have put their efforts forward (both photo and vector) and really ought to repay that debt slightly.

Jon
    IP