Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Designer Pro X Problems

ok but this does not fix the underlying problem that 24bit RGB is optimised on import like it or not - resizing I can live with up to a point, but conversion to jpg and loss of detail even at 100% is a definate no - it does not happen with 32bit [regardless of whether any pixels are transparent or not] as far as I can see

I can't see a registry way of stopping it

if this is not fixed I could maybe switch to PSD/TIFF, or maybe force all PNG to 32bit, but I'm still going to have a problem with legacy PNG 24bit files [not to mention a disk space overhead]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The registry hack provided in post #9 was not mean't to address this.

oh and what exactly does this mean, from the release notes?

"When pasting in images, they are automatically converted to JPEG if they are deemed suitable for JPEG"

the program now knows better than the user does it

please - don't forget some of us can still think.......
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The registry hack provided in post #9 was not mean't to address this.
    ok steve - I didn't really mean to say it did, just came out that way...

thanks again
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    oh and what exactly does this mean, from the release notes?

ah right - I paste something in from photoshop and it gets optimised like it or not .... I was afraid that may be the case..... jeeez 'photo manipulation for dummies' or what?

[sorry but, as you may have gathered, this is a more than slight inconvenience to me - not to decry all the really good stuff ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

...and that happens with 32bit as well as 24bit... I think I just go away and cry in a corner somewhere..
    Nothing lasts forever...

Can you tell me what I am missing as I'm not seeing any difference between DP6 / DP7 and DPX when pasting the same bitmap data from the Windows clipboard from PS or even a screenshot to Xara, Steve.
    The exception being that DPX bitmap gallery uses the word (Optimized). Shown Kb size is still the same, as is the resolution and colour depth (24bit) in all versions tested.

HI

so what exactly does 'optimised' mean then steve?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Make the best or most effective use of (a situation, opportunity, or resource)

Though obviously the main intention is for web documents to help with the OOM problems of photo heavy pages by ensuring that any images which are downsized will be optimised to 96dpi.
    But as I see it, any bitmap pasted from the clipboard isn't a JPG until you save it out, after all you can export it as any bitmap type.
    Even with web docs you can force it to export as PNG from the Image tab in Web properties

I take 'optimized' to mean the information that is pasted in is jpeg information [ie converted before paste] - and also I wouldn't mind betting it's compressed by default [though that you might be able to hack in registry] - why else would the release note be worded the way it is? - that means the information is potentially degraded from the off for bitmaps that are not actually photographs for the web

I take the point about the web - but it should not be automatic unless xara is declaring itself a web only product
    Nothing lasts forever...