Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Designer Pro X Problems

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I take 'optimized' to mean the information that is pasted in is jpeg information [ie converted before paste] - and also I wouldn't mind betting it's compressed by default
    Steve, the bitmap gallery declares a pasted image as 'Bitmap' - if it were creating a compressed JPG 'on-the-fly' from the clipboard data the gallery would list it as a 'JPEG' (as it does for imported JPG images). I've never seen Xara import pasted bitmap data as a specific file format.
    I have just tested this several times and do not get any pasted bitmaps converted to JPEG from the clipboard no matter what the original file format was (TIF, GIF, PNG, BMP etc), after all - all images are uncompressed 'bitmaps' in memory when displayed on the screen.
    Also, the bitmap gallery shows the uncompressed Kb size of pasted bitmaps, they are only compressed when exported (or if you right-click and chose 'Optimise Photo').
    The use of the word (optimised) is new for pasted bitmaps and I agree it's a little misleading, I'll try to find out more about the intent here - but it does mean that the pasted bitmap data is now 96dpi even if the original file which was copied was say 72dpi.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	optimised.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	89860

Thanks Steve

I think the importing [as opposed to pasting] of 24bit RGB as optimised automatically is a mistake - the release notes imply we should have a choice

As far as pasting goes the quote from the release notes is confusing, I'll grant [and it still should be optional IMO]

hopefully Xara will clarify - thanks again
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I totally agree that any optimization, compression or conversion should be optional — at the very least in the Pro version.

Thanks to reading this thread, I've discovered that I can get around the optimization of 24bit pngs by opening them in XDP7 and pasting them into XDPX as xara documents.

As for the optimization of 24bit pngs, I contacted Support. They say it's a bug, so hopefully we'll see a fix in the next release (whenever that is).

thanks
    Nothing lasts forever...

well, since today's update the word 'optimized,' when pasting in, appears to have vanished

still comes in at 96dpi, but then like steve said it did that before [I think - how quickly we forget ]

and the issue with importing 24bit bitmaps seems resolved
    Last edited by handrawn; 30 May 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: clarity
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yep, the misleading term was a Name:  bug.gif
Views: 244
Size:  1,016 Bytes after all

Hi, just a word to say that I still have the issue with the wrong sized png when dragged in a document.

However I found out that the "bitmap" templates (the ones with a darker background and not canvas) does not have this problem.

My workaround for now is opening a second program window, dragging the bitmap in a new document, and dragging from there to the target xara window.

Marc