Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Make full Xara Web Designer MX available for download

As currently provided, Xara Web Designer MX is incomplete since the elements of the Design Gallery are only downloadable item by item as needed. This presupposes that the program is only being used when an internet connection is available. This is often not the case for me as I use it on a laptop when travelling. I submitted a ticket asking for access to a file containing all the content, including the Design Gallery elements, and got the reply that I would have to buy the backup CD for this. This represents an increase in the upgrade price of around 30%. With previous versions, a full content file was available on request. If I had known that this was no longer the case, I would not have upgraded since the price with the backup CD is uncompetitive, and without it Web Designer is not fit for purpose.

Default Re: Make full Xara Web Designer MX available for download

Actually the Help file's 'What's new' mentions this;

The Designs Gallery is now completely server linked, so we can update and add more templates, clipart, Widgets etc.

Ok, I missed that. But, I still think many users will be unaware of the implications. Reworded, it says you can only access items in the Design Gallery if you are connected to the Internet, or if you have downloaded them in a previous session. Presented with that statement, I would have bought something else since it means you cannot use all the design options of Web Designer MX when travelling.

I think it's fair to assume that when using such website creation software one would have regular access to the web. Even while travelling these days, the use of cloud services is commonly required for such things as banking, email and social networks.
    In less common cases such as yours, a $10 backup CD surely would be a very small price for the instant convenience, no?

Actually the price quoted for the backup is just over $20. I have three other Web creation utilities: Ms Expression Web, Net Objects Fusion 12, and Web Easy Professional - none of them assume regular Web access and all provide everything needed to use the software at the quoted price. I never use cloud services - I think the concept is fundamentally flawed from a security viewpoint, and only use free Web access when travelling. If I had to pay for access to use Web Designer MX that would be just another cost onto the price of the software.

However, I have solved the problem by buying Designer Pro X which, when I get the CD, presumably will install the the content of the Design Gallery into Web Designer MX as well. I always have bought both packages because my first love is graphic design, yet I prefer dedicated Web software. In future I will not buy Web Designer as a matter of principle. Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by tomh View Post
    Actually the price quoted for the backup is just over $20.
    Interesting, the price you see online when you make the purchase for either version is $10.
    I wonder why you were quoted $20 ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-CD.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	89541

Quote Originally Posted by tomh View Post
    However, I have solved the problem by buying Designer Pro X which, when I get the CD, presumably will install the the content of the Design Gallery into Web Designer MX as well. I always have bought both packages because my first love is graphic design, yet I prefer dedicated Web software. In future I will not buy Web Designer as a matter of principle. Thanks for your responses.
    The CD for Designer Pro will only install the full content in the Designs Gallery for Designer Pro. Each program installs individually so the content for one will not install in another program. To install the full content in the Designs Gallery for Web Designer, the reply you got from your support ticket is correct; you'll need to purchase a backup CD and install from that.