Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Greg,

I love your image! The pavement and the bricks are really great, but it's in the window where you show everything you can do!

I tend to use more yellow in my foliage greens, but guess it depends on taste and choice.

Please keep me updated! I'd love to know more about the use you're giving to RWB.

Peace,

Paulo
    IP

Wow it has been amazingly weird following this thread. For me it shows that none of you guys feel that my "do it yourself" tutorial was useful.

All this confusion about this very ordinary brush variant shows what little effort has been made to understand this application.

I suppose that it was thought that my tutorial was for beginners. Au contraire.

Do it dilligently and you will gain a real understanding of how to modify an existing brush to behave exactly how you want.

The confusion was inevitable. Paulo didn't understand that his brush recipe was not complete.

Seeing as we are dealing with a grainy variant which will ineract with the currently selected paper we need to know what paper is used.

More importantly Paulo had neglected to mention the brush profile which was used.

Let's do some reverse engineering, it is obvious by the 29% opacity and the 23 min size, the spacing at 36% and 0% diffusion that Paulo has started with the standard simple water brush.

The first thing I notice about this RWB brush is that it is not that different from the standard simple water brush.

If you start from a water colour brush you will automatically have the right profile but if you try to build this brush from a different source you probably would have it on the wrong profile, which is why Jinny's brush was so different.

Also the circular artifacts which are immediately apparent should instantly be recognised as requiring a small spacing adjustment. Not really hard to solve and it is not the sort of thing that will change the essential character of a brush anyway.

The only *real* difference between this brush and the standard simple water is that the resat has been wound all the way up and this has been somewhat compensated by knocking the dryout down.

No big deal. It would be far more useful to share the discovery about how dryout and resat affect a watercolour brush, and in what way. Thus encouraging a deeper understanding of the controls. So that one can immediately focus on the important controls. Which in this case are resat and dryout.

Let's see a posting of an interesting brush that has some real unique qualities that are unlike any of the standard brushes. Now that would be news.

Thelonious your friendly nieghborhood curmudgeon.

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on June 11, 2001 at 20:09.]

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on June 11, 2001 at 20:13.]

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on June 12, 2001 at 14:46.]
    IP

Paulo,

Thanks for the brush! I downloaded it at In Depth Discussions. Before trying your brush, and after replacing my Painter.brs file, I rebuilt the RWB based on the Water Color brush's Broad Water Brush variant, then changed the Spacing to 15%.

Side by side, my newly built RWB and your RWB look exactly alike. They both perform the same way and I'm now getting some beautiful blending. Actually, and I didn't mention this at IDD, the brush I rebuilt based on the Broad Water Brush variant now works well with your 36% setting for Spacing.

It looks like basing it on the Broad Water Brush variant was the answer for me.

Thanks again for all your generous instruction, samples, and for sharing your great brush in the first place. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Paulo and Greg,

Greg, I must be facing East now.. too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Paulo,

I downloaded your brush and it works beautifully on my PC. I double checked all of the settings against what you posted in the recipe and there was only one tiny difference. In the recipe Size is 10.3. In your Real Water brush, Size was set at 10.9. Surely that couldn't make any difference.

Now I've tested your brush and my newly built brush side by side and they seem to be working exactly alike. I still get a little of the sudden return to full opacity while in blending mode but if I move the pen more slowly and carefully it doesn't happen so often and I'm learning how to pick up lighter areas and blend over those spots to make them disappear.

I'm getting some really beautiful blends now. This may be the best thing that's happened to Painter's Water Color brushes ever! I think Corel should give you a nice fat check for inventing this one and then incorporate it as one of the Painter 7 defaults!

It's working for me now! Yippee! []

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi all, or mostly all,

Sorry for posting basically the same message two times. I didn't realize we'd gone to two pages for this thread and thought that somehow my first one didn't get posted. Oh well.. now I know.

Thelonious,

We're happy. Is that a problem? Paulo's efforts, and his new brush are appreciated by a lot of people.

Quit complaining, and cheer up.. if possible.

Jinny Brown
    IP

the powder magazine.

well you people have finally got me thinking about watercolour. 98% of painter's brushes i never touch! hopefully now it will be more like 97.5%.

this thread has been extensive and should be seen by more people since it illustrates painter's very convincing watercolour effects amazingly. great work jinny, paulo and greg.

in some ways every brush effect should be shown like this, up close and personal, so people can really grasp the power of painter's technology. especially for those who are really interested in using software for serious art creation. the airbrush is spectacular. far superior to photoshop's. and no other program exploits the wacom drivers as thoroughly as painter does. geez Corel should have this kind of stuff you've presented here plastered all over their site!?

again, good work. you guys 'ave blown me away.

hey paulo. wait 'til you get your hands on P7. you'll be in heaven...

hmmm. maybe i should do a tutorial on 'How to Paint a Sexy Girl With Painter 6'. yeah, like Fritz Willis in a Walter Foster book!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

stecyk66

[This message was edited by stecyk66 on June 10, 2001 at 23:09.]
    IP

Stecyk,

Happily, it is being seen by more people and the coverage of this brush is even more extensive due to extra samples posted by Cris Palomino in the Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions. I haven't checked since Sunday, and there may be more by now. If you'd like to take a look, the address is:

http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/

I'm glad you like what Paulo and the rest of us have been doing. It's been a lot of fun and I hope you'll join in. With your painting skills, that should be a very productive addition to this exploration.

Thanks for the nice comments. Most of the praise, though, is deserved by Paulo for sharing his brush with us. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    IP

Jinny,
    First, I want to thank you for mentioning this forum in the Painter list. I doubt I would have found it otherwise. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I noticed you mentioned your Wacom drivers as version 4.52. FWIW, there are newer drivers available. I have 4.55 on my system and for all I know those might not be the newest. As you seem to have gotten the brush working as it should it's unlikely that drivers on your system were the culprits in the aberrant behavior you were seeing.

Martye
    IP

Hi Martye
    hope you're enjoying the forum.
    By the way you don't exactly have to be Brain of Britain to go to wacom.com and see that we are up to version 4.6.

Regards T
    IP

Hi there!

It's great to see you here, Martye. Thanks too for the reminder that I probably need to upgrade my Wacom driver. This seems to be upgrade week for me. First Netscape, then I finally gave in and upgraded to Painter 6.1 (Painter was misbehaving terribly and I got fed up!), and now the Wacom driver.

I hate all this upgrading stuff. I'd rather be playing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hope you check out the IDD Painter Forum too.. as I said in an earlier message, there's more info there on Paulo's Real Watercolor Brush that's worth seeing. (Also, IDD has some other great forums and it's a wonderful community.)

I'd hate to miss out on all the great stuff found in the many Painter related communities... so I spend way too many hours reading all of them each day. The latest I've found is at Sijun.com. Though there's not a specific Painter forum, a good many threads under Digital Art Discussions are related to Painter.

Hope you'll be sharing some of your tips and techniques here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    IP