Wow it has been amazingly weird following this thread. For me it shows that none of you guys feel that my "do it yourself" tutorial was useful.

All this confusion about this very ordinary brush variant shows what little effort has been made to understand this application.

I suppose that it was thought that my tutorial was for beginners. Au contraire.

Do it dilligently and you will gain a real understanding of how to modify an existing brush to behave exactly how you want.

The confusion was inevitable. Paulo didn't understand that his brush recipe was not complete.

Seeing as we are dealing with a grainy variant which will ineract with the currently selected paper we need to know what paper is used.

More importantly Paulo had neglected to mention the brush profile which was used.

Let's do some reverse engineering, it is obvious by the 29% opacity and the 23 min size, the spacing at 36% and 0% diffusion that Paulo has started with the standard simple water brush.

The first thing I notice about this RWB brush is that it is not that different from the standard simple water brush.

If you start from a water colour brush you will automatically have the right profile but if you try to build this brush from a different source you probably would have it on the wrong profile, which is why Jinny's brush was so different.

Also the circular artifacts which are immediately apparent should instantly be recognised as requiring a small spacing adjustment. Not really hard to solve and it is not the sort of thing that will change the essential character of a brush anyway.

The only *real* difference between this brush and the standard simple water is that the resat has been wound all the way up and this has been somewhat compensated by knocking the dryout down.

No big deal. It would be far more useful to share the discovery about how dryout and resat affect a watercolour brush, and in what way. Thus encouraging a deeper understanding of the controls. So that one can immediately focus on the important controls. Which in this case are resat and dryout.

Let's see a posting of an interesting brush that has some real unique qualities that are unlike any of the standard brushes. Now that would be news.

Thelonious your friendly nieghborhood curmudgeon.

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on June 11, 2001 at 20:09.]

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on June 11, 2001 at 20:13.]

[This message was edited by Thelonious Hink on June 12, 2001 at 14:46.]