Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I usually optimize my web graphic in PS, but I was looking for another program that I can try to use to optimize the images after I use PS...any suggestions?
    IP

I usually optimize my web graphic in PS, but I was looking for another program that I can try to use to optimize the images after I use PS...any suggestions?
    IP

This may be touchy in a PS forum, but since you asked...

1) Photo Impact is a great Image Editor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    2) Picture Publisher delivers very good file size results...IMHO

so there's a couple you can try...then sort your images by letter rating ( a,b,c ) back in PS7...
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

lol, interesing question.

May I ask why PS doesnt optimize your images well enough?

~Vp~
    ~Vp~
    IP

Yes, that's my question too. Why are you looking for another program to optimize your output. Photoshop/Imageready 7 has some great improvements in the area of optimizing output, but even with version 6 you have a lot of options in that area.
    IP

Before I had PS, I bought a plugin that I could use in PS LE. It is by Boxtopsoft and is called ProJPG. It's not free though, but I still use it because it gives better quality and a smaller file size than PS6 does.
    Still, JPG is always lossy... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...ine=1019851685
    IP

Well, I am just curious...I always use "save for web" and optimize from there, but someone told me that there an other ways to get crunch the images to get the DL time even faster...I wasn't getting down on PS I was just curious

click here and scroll to the bottom to see what I mean.

[This message was edited by chip11414 on May 07, 2002 at 15:12.]

[This message was edited by chip11414 on May 07, 2002 at 15:31.]
    IP

I agree with you. I have created some posters that were as large as 64 x 42 and have the same problem. I try to compress the images low enough (after reducing the size) to make them load quickly in Flash but I want to keep the quality as clean as I can. I also wonder if there is anything that can be done to compress these images better but keep the size of the file low?

"Those who expect nothing, shall not be disappointed"
    Anonymous
    IP

Oh good grief chip!... if those numbers i saw at the bottom of that page are YOURS, from your site... i wouldn't worry about optimizing anymore. Generally speaking, you're WELL below normal for file size and download times.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Something about that guy's page gives me the impression they're bucking for attention. If you wanted, you could suck the life right out of ANY graphic. Down to the point that it becomes just a blotch of undecernable pixels. But is THAT what you want?! I wouldn't think so...

Heck! Even though i've trimmed as much fat as i could from my pages, you should see the overall download time on my PS front page!
    But the way i see it... i'm dealing with subject matter of a graphical nature... as are a ton of other sites... slightly larger file sizes, and download times a bit above normal should be expected.

HINT: the average "standard" (acceptable) download time for a front page is about 60kb -- or about 10 seconds wait; whichever comes first, depending on the type of 'user' you're aiming for.
    The general 'rule-of-thumb' in Web design is to load up file size incrementally, as the visitor goes deeper into a site. So in other words... the front page can be a 10 sec wait... secondary pages slightly more, 3rd level pages a bit more, and so-on and so-on.
    That's usually the way Website design is approached from a professional standpoint. But there ARE exceptions to the rules... i.e. sites like my Photoshop site, which are largely dependant on using graphics to support textual content; as opposed to graphics just for the sake of decorating a page.

Use this info as a guideline. But not a hard'n'fast set of rules.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"

[This message was edited by Mark (theKeeper) on May 08, 2002 at 22:05.]
    IP

Thanks for the hint, Mark
    IP