Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Arts & Crafts fonts

Let me get to finding and scaling stuff, then.

From The Art Story.org, so we're on the same page historically, as to where letterforms came from and when:

Art Nouveau was aimed at modernizing design, seeking to escape the eclectic historical styles that had previously been popular. Artists drew inspiration from both organic and geometric forms, evolving elegant designs that united flowing, natural forms with more angular contours. The movement was committed to abolishing the traditional hierarchy of the arts, which viewed so-called liberal arts, such as painting and sculpture, as superior to craft-based decorative arts, and ultimately it had far more influence on the latter. The style went out of fashion after it gave way to Art Deco in the 1920s, but it experienced a popular revival in the 1960s, and it is now seen as an important predecessor of modernism.

+++++++++++++++++

The above is 2% opinionated, but it's basically true.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post

OKAY: BIG QUESTION

I think I have legal access to some of the old William Morris and other glyphs. They're highly ornamental stuff, perfect for the "O" in "Once Upon a Time..." in a storybook.

Shall I try to post an example? Would this bee a good font project for the fall?

-g-
    Sounds good to me if it is indeed legal.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Before this goes O/T, I've created a sample page and a brief explanation of what we might like to approach next for a group font:

>>>Some resources from Arts & Crafts and earlier<<<

-g-