Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm not sure how many Flash users have heard of Xara X, formerly Corel Xara, but if ever there was a great set of design tools that go way beyond FreeHand's great set of tools, it's Xara X, coming to i/us in September.

Click Here to go to the <font color=red>Xara X Preview Page</font>.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

Excellent! I'm assuming, however, that it will be along the lines of Illustrator and/or Freehand with Flash? Does it just extend on the Corel Draw! export plug-in that already exists? Or is it new code, native to Xara?

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>

http://www.hoaxsquad.com - keep informed about hoaxes!!!
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Gary's comprehensive preview pages give a lot of very interesting detail of the new version of the premier web drawing and design tool.

It appears that it will export to swf. Also, no doubt it will export to AI7. Currently it exports to AI3 so unfortunately layers arent preserved. But the roundabout route I've begun to follow is.. creation of drawing in xara, export via cmx to coreldraw7, save to Freehand8 as cdr, then export to Flash as AI7. Layers preserved, and despite the torturous route it beats drawing the thing in Freehand by miles. Only thing missing is: xara's superlative transparency effects etc dont translate.. so flat fills are necessary.

If Macromedia could get their hands on the xara code they'd finally have a drawing and design tool to really crow about. Imagine a preview-quality screen view that refreshes quicker than freehand wireframe mode, and at the same time is antialiased as well as a photoshop bitmap.. and you get the picture. Jpeg and gif exports from coreldraw and freehand are quite rough compared to xara's.
    For people who like to draw, xara is king.

Q.
    http://www.Qdesign.co.nz
    IP

Sounds like Xara is the tool to have! Have you guys seen the gallery at the Xara Website? Paul Shotan's motorbike blew my mind!!! His examples of Xara work at his Web page are just as amazing!!!

Craziness - I wish I had the patience for that sort of attention to detail. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Hey Deep

If you want to see more art created with Xara, including more of Paul Shotan's excellent images, visit The Featured Artist Page in the XaraXone.

There are 16 artists represented (be sure to click the link at the top of the page to go to the second page of artists).

You'll see a wide range of art styles including some images that will blow you away and some that will make you smile.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

Whats the export to swf like? do the gradients convert to the flash model? I hate when I try and bring gradients from ai or corel over into an swf file. I tend to just do outlines and fill in flash. I would love so see some of the work straight out of xara as a swf. Got any Gary?

Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    IP

Mr. Pope, Sir,

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Well I guess I'll have to modify my last statement and say if the uploaded file had posted it would have been worth a thousand words! :-o

I created four circles with multi-color rainbow fills and exported them as SWF files. The resulting Flash file converted the fills to 2-color fills.

I think this is more a Flash limitation than a Xara problem.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on August 11, 2000 at 10:37 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flash-test.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	9424  
    IP

Yo.. your flashness..
    re: Macromedians 1:1 -I'm inclined to agree..

but I'm mindful of that other book of Macromedians .. Freehands 8.01b 'crinkly screen views telleth thee there's no gain without pain'

Q.

IP