Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can anyone identify this font?

Increasingly I come across the attached font, used as body text on websites. As it is body text, the screenshot I have posted is very small too small for wtf to do anything with. I like the uneven height of the characters, and would prefer to use this than most other casual fonts.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	89252  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Can anyone identify this font?

My first thought is possibly Helvetica Neue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

What ever I've been able to find, doesn't have letters that are of different heights.
    Can you tell us, on which web sites you've seen this font?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

if on a web site, look at the source for the page and or the css file.

mike

Attached is a screenshot from the http://wegraphics.net/blog/ page, which I have compared to helvetica neue. You will notice that the mystery font has a round "o".
    Also the x height of the Helvetica letters is constant, whereas the mystery font has variations (notice the "v" between the "o" and the "e" - there are others).
    @ Rik, if you press Ctrl + mouse scroll up on the page, (link above) it will magnify in your browser.
    Bob.

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	89258  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 06 May 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

looks like you are using a condensed version of helvetica neue. in your example.

From the web page style sheet:
    font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Arial, "Lucida Grande", sans-serif;

i have neue helvetica [versus helvetica neue] and for me arial is what is displayed.

take care, mike

Take a look at the body text on this site. The uneven x-height of the body text seems to be more pronounced here.
    Please someone tell me that you are seeing what I am seeing on this site! Any ideas, anyone?
    Bob.

On the site I right clicked on the side of the screen (on the site background) from the list I chose view page source and a new page opens that shows the source code for the page near the top is the css that shows a link for fonts clicking this will open another page that lists all the embedded fonts used in the site. The body text you are after is as I thought Helvetica Neue.

The bad news is it is not cheap. Helvetica Neue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Thanks Mike and Frances for the help you have given me. But I am still left with what I hope will not become one of life's little mysteries. Would anyone be able to explain to me why, when I look at examples of Helvetica Neue on MyFonts it looks like the attached, which, to my eye in no way resembles what is on the web page I linked to in my previous post. Either I am going mad, or they are not similar, let alone identical. Could it be explained in words of one syllable why this should be so, and, more importantly, what is the font that I'm actually seeing that is so different to Helvetica Neue? A good start would be for someone to confirm that the example posted shows actual differences between the x-heights of the vowels and certain characters in the mystery font in question and it is not just a figment of my tortured imagination.
    Bob.

Name:	fonts.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	89348  

Hi Bob, I had a close up look at the Moustache Brewing site and the screen grab you posted and I what I see is very different to what you have in your screen grab which leads me to think that the issue could be related to your computers screen resolution do you by any chance have it set higher than 96dpi?

Here is what I see on the brewing site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mbscreen_for Bob.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	89349
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]