Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Open type fonts extra glyphs and ligatures compatibility discussion

Frances, to my knowledge only Xara 3D does not support Open Type Fonts. I use them often in Designer Pro.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

@Bill: What I meant by full support for open type fonts that Xara does not have is for the extra glyphs that some times come with open type fonts, for example you can get a free copy of Megalopolis Extra from Smeltery Fonts this font contains a bunch of extra glyphs for swashes, alternate letters, etc, that are not uni coded. No Xara programs have the capabilities to access these extra glyphs. And this is what has been asked for on the forums, however as so far the only programs that I know of that can access these extras are Adobe programs I'm guessing this may be proprietary technology and it may not be possible for Xara to have this functionality for who knows how long.

So what I would like to see with our TG fonts is for ALL glyphs to be accessible by regular keyboard means so they are accessible in all Xara programs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Info Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

The Microsoft Windows code page 1252 Western (ANSI) is shown in this image

allows for 218 characters including the space character. The cells blacked out cannot be accessed using a standard US or UK keyboard. All other cells can be accessed by the normal keys or by the Alt+xxxx key combination.

Download the full size image http://btaylor.50megs.com/218-characters.png

This image shows the decimal number associated with the characters. For example if you want to place a copyright symbol © in a document you would hold the Alt key down hit 0 then the 3 digits 169 shown in the image.

Download full size image http://btaylor.50megs.com/218-decimal.png
    I hope I did make this more confusing than it would normanly be for anyone.

The endash and emdash have their place within the character set. We can create a short space however in TrueType and OpenType fonts the space will resize to a small with by design. If we need a smaller (narrower) space we can create it in FontLab.

A non-breaking space is an HTML concept and not something that can be created within FontLab that I have been able to figure out.

If anyone needs an explanation of any thing I have tried to say please don't hesitate to ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	218-characters.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	88800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	218-decimal.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	88801  

Last edited by Soquili; 15 April 2012 at 10:36 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

As long as we can keep all glyphs in the TG fonts that we create accessible with Xara programs I think that will be great. However Open type fonts can contain literally thousands of glyphs that can be used to provide extra features.

Here is an example of what I mean by full support of open type features that Xara does not have.

http://www.howdesign.com/resources-t...e-on-opentype/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Frances Unicode TrueType fonts can contain thousands of glyphs. The Megalopolis Extra font only contains a few hundred glyphs. I'm still examining it to see what exactly is making the extra glyphs unaccessable within a Xara application. So far the extra glyphs are also unaccessable within Photoshop CS as well as DP7.

Technically speaking the difference between a TrueType and an OpenType font is the OpenType uses EPS outlines. That difference does not allow for the ligatures in and of itself. There are ttf fonts that also contain floureshes and some ligatures there seems to be some differences that I have not discovered yet.
    Last edited by Soquili; 15 April 2012 at 11:52 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

As long as we can access all the glyphs in the collaboration fonts in Xara I am happy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Bill,

According to Wikipedia, the non-breaking space is "Windows (all applications) Alt+0160 or Alt+255 (on numeric keypad)" which, not surprisingly, shows up as empty on the keyboard layout you uploaded. Whether the character is actually generated by the OS, or by FontLab or the font pixies, I don't know.

The non-breaking hyphen is U+2011.

I've seen it said that the non-breaking hyphen can be accessed by Alt+2011 but that has never worked for me.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com