Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please can we have an Android (or iOS) version of Xara

Dear Xara

Please can you port/write a version of Xara Designer Pro for Android (or iOS?)

Background:
    I have been looking at a high resolution, lightweight ultra-portable laptop and I can only conclude that the future of Windows is screwed.

I have been looking at the best resolutions and weights for laptops and clearly the Apple iPad is WAY ahead of anything that runs Windows. But personally I hate the closed 'big brother' world of Apple with a passion. I particularly hate not being able to upgrade your RAM, or replace your battery (dont get me started)... But I am thinking that it can only a matter of a few months before the spec of Android tablets catch up.

As you will no doubt know, the latest iPad has *1 million* more pixels than the highest resolution laptop that money can buy. AND it weighs less than half the weight, AND it is less than half the cost. (!)
    i.e. The New iPad (v3) weighs 662g, has a screen of 3MP (2048x1550) and only costs GBP 559. Moreover the iPad has an "instant on" facility that makes Windows devices look like dynosaurs!

Whereas the majority of existing lightweight Windows-running laptops on the market tend to only run 1366x768 screens and frankly your're doing extremely well to beat 1.2 Kg!
    e.g. Dell XPS 17 L702X has a screen res of 1920x1080, but weighs 3.6Kg
    e.g. Sony Z also do 1920x1080 but they cost well over GBP1,500 as well as weighing about twice the iPad.

But how hard can it be for tablet manufactures to catch up?

I'm not sure about iOS... - even though I notice that most blue-chip corporates now use them regularly - but I reckon Android will eventually replace Windows completely. So go on Xara - are you going to be ready?

J

Default Re: Please can we have an Android (or iOS) version of Xara

I could never work with Xara on such a tiny screen that I have to stick my fingers all over to make things happen

(though there's more chance you'd see Xara DP for Apple desktops and laptops than any pad OS)

absolutely agree with android version request. Think a simple cut down basic version of Xara for drawing would be popular.

I once had a palm tungsten E and bought a simple vector drawing app for it and could import the vector files straight into Flash as files were svg, from there into Xara via ai. I found it extremely useful and sketching graphics ideas with actual rgb colour is very useful away from computer. I dont carry a laptop around and like to sketch in the outdoors and there a small pocket device like the Palm works great (until the battery runs out).

Since the Palm died I've reverted to paper and pen. I'd like to buy a samsung device so an android version of xara would be wonderful. I'm not interested in iphone/ipad as I work a lot in Flash. Android version with simple outline drawing with colour fills, blends, and maybe transparency but most importantly doesn't crash please. Like xara version 2 but simpler.

Q

There's already a ton of drawing apps for Android, many of them free as well.
    For example, have you tried 'Sketchbook Mobile' from AutoDesk?
    http://goo.gl/d4TgS

yep there are a few Android apps I've found in searching, usually in beta but they appear to use bitmap output. Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile outputs png and psd, and pdf but I don't think the pdf is illustrator vector version.
    A simple line drawing app that does colour fills which translate straight into Flash or Xara for further editing doesn't appear to be available yet. A very basic cut down version of Xara would be my preference. My old Palm app back in 2003 did the trick but back then Palm screens were small and low res. But it worked at the time.

Q

I would LOVE an app that I could sketch stuff on my Android tablet and then bring directly into XDP without any fuss. +1.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

I have a Microsoft Surface2Pro running full versions of Xara P&GD9 and Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 6.2 with a Pro Pen stylus used directly on the screen. It is very compact, very portable, and has an all day battery life. Any smaller and it might be too small to draw with. I highly recommend it. The Granny Smith Apple was drawn using Sketchbook Pro and the white on black portrait was done using Xara P&GD9. I agree that Xara might fall behind in the graphics tablet market unless they can migrate Xara to Android. I am thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition (Android 4.3) that can run the Android version of Sketchbook Pro. If It could run Xara, I would be in graphics heaven.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AppleDark95.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	100291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roentgencloseup.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	100292

I'm also on the fence about getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. I'm mainly waiting for Autodesk products, however, if Xara ports to Android, I'd be willing to pull the trigger sooner. I also don't want full DP functionality. I'd prefer a smaller, sleeker app, similar to Adobe Ideas with the ability to save to Dropbox or something. That's what matters to me.
    Sheff
    My Site

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 that is great for surfing the web, looking at images, reading content, dropbox, and reading email. But it cannot draw with a stylus. The wife got tired of reading and watching videos from her Windows phone, so I decided to let her have my Tab 2 to give me the excuse of upgrading. I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition ($599, Android 4.3, 32GB, WiFi) that had Autodesk Sketchbook for Galaxy preloaded. I was not sure if it was fully featured or not, so I upgraded to Sketchbook Pro for Android for $5. Can't say if their are any major differences betwen the two Sketchbook versions. I can tell you that it a pleasure to draw on the GN10.1(2014) with Sketchbook Pro. The first time I removed the stylus from its holding cavity, I thought it was too small (thinner than a thin pencil), but in actual use it works great and I no longer give it a second thought. The stylus to cursor calibration was spot on and much better than my Surface Pro 2 (whose calibration changes depending where you are on the screen, making highly detailed work tedious sometimes). So sketching on the GN10.1(2014) is natural and easy, just like drawing (just slicker than paper). Being able to see the art under your stylus is much better than using my Wacom Intuos Pen&Touch tablet (medium) on my PC. Sketchbook for Android has some file strangeness. You can't upload your old existing tif or psd files, importing jpg files is done by clicking on the blank layer icon, you cannot "save as" and name your saved files, you load previous work through "gallery", and to export to jpg or psd you click the share link and it drops it into a Autodesk folder not of your choosing. The good news is that the simplified Sketchbook Pro for Android software is optimized for mobile use and it draws without noticeable lag and the tools are actually easier to adjust than on my full 6.2 PC version.

I never felt like the GN10.1(2014) was too small with the drawing below. It is so thin, you can lay it flat on a table and rest your hand naturally (on either the screen, table or both), palm detection is great, panning and zooming are great, and the tools are easy to reach and don't get in the way. The screen res is upgraded in the 2014 Edition to 2560x1600 (more than the GN10.1 regular version) and the colors are brilliant even at less than 100% brightness. It is 1/3 the thickness and 1/2 the weight of my Surface Pro 2, so it is easier to hold one handed for web surfing on the couch. Works great with Dropbox (preloaded).

The question is whether you want to wait for the upcoming Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 with a bigger screen (same 2560x1600 res). It might be better if you use more arm motion with your art, have big hands, or plan to keep it on a desk most of the time. I like the compact size of the 10.1 and its light weight and portability. Here is an eyeball sketch done entirely on my new GN10.1(2014) on the first day of ownership. It was just meant to be practice using only 4 tools: airbrush for large areas and blending, color picker, pencil for iris detail, and "noisy" brush for skin texture and clumpy mascara effect. This drawing was 1280x800 and 3 layers. Without the noisy brush skin highlights the skin looked like a plastic manikin. Now if only Xara would run in Android.

The software has preset drawing sizes including but not exclusively:
    1280x800 18 layers possible
    1920x1080 11 layers
    2560x1600 6 layers
    2560x2560 3 layers (maximum)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueEye2.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	100323

Glad I came back to this thread. Now I'm going to wait for the 12.2.
    Sheff
    My Site