Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Challenge?

Default A Challenge?

I've seen several excellent images regarding beer mugs, wine/champagne glasses, cans etc., but have noticed some difficulty in coming up with realistic beer foam.

I know *I* can't do it, but this forum has numerous amazing artists on it, and I wondered if a challenge might be thrown down to see who can come up with some great foam! I did see an image by RUSS-USSR that had some amazing foam, both on top of a glass and inside a bottle. I'd love to see "the pros" go for it, as I've had great difficulty in trying to recreate realistic foam.

Or perhaps even more difficult, how about some condensation on a can of pop or beer?

If these topics have already been hammered out, I apologize in advance.

I've seen several excellent images regarding beer mugs, wine/champagne glasses, cans etc., but have noticed some difficulty in coming up with realistic beer foam.

I know *I* can't do it, but this forum has numerous amazing artists on it, and I wondered if a challenge might be thrown down to see who can come up with some great foam! I did see an image by RUSS-USSR that had some amazing foam, both on top of a glass and inside a bottle. I'd love to see "the pros" go for it, as I've had great difficulty in trying to recreate realistic foam.

Or perhaps even more difficult, how about some condensation on a can of pop or beer?

If these topics have already been hammered out, I apologize in advance.

but if I can find it, I'll upload my attempt.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beer_glass.jpg 
Views:	777 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	11234  

Styrofoam! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

a favorite topic of mine! I sit here enjoying this fine forum whilst enjoying a fine "Dab" (The pride of Germany's hard-working Dortmunders!). Heck, its time to open another! Got to love that German Purity Law of 1516 which results in clean beer free of the 200+ additives used by American brewers. Thumbs up to the Reinheitsgebot!

Ever since I drew the pool-office I've wanted to revise the pic so the pool was filled with beer - for the ultimate office! I tried but failed to do it convincingly. Perhaps from this thread I'll get some good pointers and I can refill the pool. I'd like that.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

It's either foam or Marge Simpsons hair when she's 104 years old

All foam is is zillions of tiny bubbles from the carbonation. So this was done with allot of cloning of a group of 4 or 5 various bubble shapes with the line color reduced to a light gray tone, (I also flipped them in different directions. I then grouped them all and created a clone of all the clones, grouped, then did an "add shapes". I then took that and added fractal plazma to it. Then I did another copy of that and did a 4 color version using yellow and yellow-orange. Then a copy of the cloned bubbles again and did "join shapes" which gave it more character and added eliptical fill to it and then stacked them all on top of each other and added some feathering to it (4 points) and that's it!!

Beer was simple, rectangle with fractal plazma and fractal plazma transparency, squewed slightly and some highlights. It was a quicky but at least I tried...........I'm tired now, going to bed..............ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foam_on_a_glass_of_beer_II.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	11323  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross Macintosh:

Ever since I drew the http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...9&m=2971970301 I've wanted to revise the pic so the pool was filled with beer - for the ultimate office! I tried but failed to do it convincingly. Perhaps from this thread I'll get some good pointers and I can refill the pool. I'd like that.

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice ;-). I wonder how is it possible that I've missed this one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Roman

I think Ross did his photo of Mark's office before you joined the conference.

That image is still one of Ross's greatest hits.

Richard - Pretty good bubbles, but they are a little dull. Bubbles have highlights and reflections and transparency. You could create one Master Bubble (sounds like a new comic book character), copy it, then select the whole lot of bubbles and Apply Attributes.

Gary

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I don't have a site from which I can upload, but I can detail how I just created some pretty cool looking foam.

Now granted, this "foam" sits on top of a pint glass, and looks as though the glass is about a couple of feet away from the viewer.

Perhaps some of you can try this out to see what type of results you get. Here is what I did:

1. I used the freehand tool to draw a foam-head shape that covers just over the top of the pint glass and about an inch down into the glass.

2. I used a flat fill, and borrowed RUSS-USSR's foam fill color of RGB (190,191,175).

3. I then applied an elliptical transparency and fiddled with it until I got a nice looking highlight.

4. I then cloned the shape and applied a gravel(1) fill from Xara's Ground fill gallery for some texture.

5. Lastly, I applied a flat, mix transparency to the gravel fill, set at 93%.

It looks pretty convincing for an image that's not too close. As for applying foam to an image that's upclose...I got nada!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

You don't need a "site" to upload from. You can include attachments in your postings. You do so by checking the 'option' found below the 'instant graemlins' when you are composing your message.

Go to the test forum and try it out. With the option checked, when you click the "Post Now" button you'll find a page will load that allows you to browse your drives for an image to upload. That's how almost every image in these forums is uploaded.

It is possible to use the "Image" button in the "Instant UBBCode" section - that does require the image to be on a webserver somewhere. Very few participants use that approach.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>