Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

I'm trying to figure out how to do something, and I'm not sure where to start. There are problably several ways of doing this, so I've got some choices.

What I'm trying to do is setup an order form on my site for novice users to use when ordering personalized craft items. (Photo ornaments or photo candles.) Getting the order form setup so it comes to me as e-mail is not the issue. But, I want them to be able to include the photo, or photos they want me to use too. That should be done via a script, right?

I've been looking at ASP, PHP, and Perl and I'm not sure what I should use. (Obviously, something my hosting program supports!) I'd like to have it accept only PNG, GIF, or JPG files too. (If I can't get one that smart, maybe I can figure out how to make it that smart later on! I'm signed up for a mess of programming classes later on this year.) I guess what I'm saying is I'm really confused by all of this stuff. If I can just figure out what would be the best starting point, the rest should start to fall in place! Thanks for listening, I'm going back to beating my head against the wall...

Irene M. Kraus a.k.a. The Computer Lady!
    Graphics & Web Page Design - Design COMP www.design-comp.com
    Pres/News Ed/Webmaster - CEBUG www.cebug.org
    Author of the Vendor News column for user groups
    Program Description - www.cebug.org/vnews.htm
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

I'm trying to figure out how to do something, and I'm not sure where to start. There are problably several ways of doing this, so I've got some choices.

What I'm trying to do is setup an order form on my site for novice users to use when ordering personalized craft items. (Photo ornaments or photo candles.) Getting the order form setup so it comes to me as e-mail is not the issue. But, I want them to be able to include the photo, or photos they want me to use too. That should be done via a script, right?

I've been looking at ASP, PHP, and Perl and I'm not sure what I should use. (Obviously, something my hosting program supports!) I'd like to have it accept only PNG, GIF, or JPG files too. (If I can't get one that smart, maybe I can figure out how to make it that smart later on! I'm signed up for a mess of programming classes later on this year.) I guess what I'm saying is I'm really confused by all of this stuff. If I can just figure out what would be the best starting point, the rest should start to fall in place! Thanks for listening, I'm going back to beating my head against the wall...

Irene M. Kraus a.k.a. The Computer Lady!
    Graphics & Web Page Design - Design COMP www.design-comp.com
    Pres/News Ed/Webmaster - CEBUG www.cebug.org
    Author of the Vendor News column for user groups
    Program Description - www.cebug.org/vnews.htm
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

You would find a best advise in case you could put your offer at http://www.scriptlance.com

Best regards,
    Charisma
    (48 years, turner from Ukraine)
    Best regards,
    Charisma
    (48 years, turner from Ukraine)

If you are using frontpage, then you can have your clients upload an image file to your site and enter their message in a database or an email form (or both) with the name of the graphic file they have uploaded. This is the easiest way to do this quickly - but you should make sure that there is a file size limit and that the server scans for potentially hazardous files.

It is also very possible to do this using an asp component (that has to be loaded and registered on your web server) - along with CDONTS and a little VB scripting to send the email complete with an attachment. (this will take longer to figure out though)

There are some software components that could help you - if you have full control over your web server. If it were me - I would still go with the first method - of uploading the file and having the user tell you what the file name is. Using frontpage you can specify a directory for these files to go into on your web server. Then all you have to do is download the file.

Within your VB Script code it would also be easy to create a link in the email that comes to you so you could click on it and view the file in your browser - then obviously - you could save it on your machine.

If you would like some help with this code let me know. It can be done!

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Randy Allen

XaraXone 2002 Featured Logo Artist
    "Wherever you go, there you are."
    Randy Allen

Randy Allen Photography