Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Assignment Time!

Here is the actual file that was used to export to eps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I can't reproduce your problem, actually, Bill, sorry! (or should I be sorry?)

Please take a look at the attached. You did have a "node at extreme" problem there in the original Xara file. Instead of the two extremely close nodes being joined by a straight line, the top node has a control handle out to Mars. I corrected it at bottom; just a marquee select with the Editor tool and a click on straight on the Infobar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	node problem.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	88563

I also noted that you are being diligent and methodical in your approach, Bill. I like what I see, and the font is going to be all that much better with your attention to the glyph set you're doing. I can appreciate your small corrections when either the printing of the stamp, or the artist's design fails to hit a symmetric area perfectly.

By the way, you might also want to try *.AI instead of *.EPS. It might overcome some sort of control point limitation neither of us fully understands.

-g-
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary, and no need to be sorry. It has been a long time since I created a font and I'm using a newer version of FontLab. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something in the process.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It's possible, because the control points are so close together at full view, that you didn't inadvertently right-click over a point, did you, Bill?

I learned the hard way that it's a shortcut to delete a control point with no confirm box!

No, you were good all the way with the path creation, except the area I pointed out. Actually, check all your "double-node" connections to make sure they're straight paths before exporting.

I'm jazzed. This is going to be one whoop-butt typeface tg is going to host and parent!

-g-

I could have right clicked a node or even tapped the delete key, knowing me anything is possible.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Look how easy you have it, drawing your glyphs in Xara.

See how Eric Gill had to do it in 1928 when he was making Gill Sans.
    Go to the 100 Best Typefaces of All Time, which is a pretty cool list to begin with, and Click on Gill Sans to see how he drew the lowercase g on graph paper.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Thanks for the link Barbara. We do seem to take forgranted how much easier our lives have become with the aid of a computer. Fifty years ago in high school art class I can remember the teacher showing us how to use graph paper in a similar manner to how Eric Gill drew his font.

Edit: Had to remember I am older and it was high school and not junior high.
    Last edited by Soquili; 04 April 2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

What's graph paper? Kidding aside, thank you for the linky, Barbara.

I'm jazzed. This is going to be one whoop-butt typeface tg is going to host and parent!
    And Gary, it is a neat project. It's a sort of fun I heartily encourage anyone wanting, but is hesitant, to get involved to do so. Doing something like this is a great way of sharping the mind's eye, get more familiar with Xara, or simply refresh one's use of the tools. In short, there is something for someone of any skill level.

Take care, Mike

I heartily agree with all of your observations, Mike.

I think group participation in a real project services a lot of purposes, Mike. First of all, for all we chat on this forum, artists tend to be loners, and when we're not, we're exceedingly competitive, which is contrary to a group effort.

What's in it for me (not that there necessarily has to be something in it), is the learning I'll gain from others.

When you stop believing you have something yet to learn, you're not a Master; you're a narcissistic fool.

My Best,

—Gary

here's mine - hope they are OK.

Christine

TGFont_4.xar