Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Large Web Site (again!!!)

Apologies for going over old ground again.

I have a web site www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk which is, as it sounds, about fuchsias with lots of pictures made with Xara Web Designer 7

I am now getting the Low On Memory warning and realise I should now split it into at least 2 websites one of which would contain pages and pictures in the 'Fuchsia Gallery.' I have read Gary Priester's tutorial at http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...kbook%201.html (I understood the idea but still a bit vague)

Am I right doing the following? :-

1. Save my current web pages under a new name i.e 'main pages'.
    2. Edit newly named web pages to leave just the fuchsia gallery picture pages.
    3. Edit links from these pages back to the 'main pages' to read www.fuchsiaflower.co. uk/index
    4. Save those web pages as 'gallery'.
    5. Delete fuchsia gallery pages from the 'main pages' and change links to the 'fuchsia gallery' to read www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk/gallery/
    6. Save 'main pages'.
    6. Create a folder on my web server called 'gallery'.
    7. Export each and publish.

Once again I apologize and thank you for your patience.

Default Re: Large Web Site (again!!!)

Hi Richy

You're in luck, Mr. Priester is here.

First off, have you used the Utilities > Optimize all JPEGs command? This can greatly cut down the file size of your document and may solve the out of memory problems. If not, run that command, save your document, close down and reopen the document.

If you tried the Optimize option and it did not work:

What you need to do is to build two or more smaller websites.

Each of these sites will be like its own website and will have an index page, and index_htm_files folder plus any other pages for that site.

In essence you are creating smaller satellite sites that will all interlink so your visitor will not know she or he is going between these satellite sites.

If you just create two sites, your main information and your photo gallery, then the second site can go into its own folder which you can name gallery.

These will be two separate WD documents (more if you break your site down smaller).

You will publish your main site directly to the web host's server. You will publish your satellite site to a folder on your web hosts server. We'll call this folder gallery. The gallery folder will be in the same directory level as your main site.

All of your page links, need to link to the physical address of the page (the web address, www.mysite.com/page.htm). The links to the gallery page, since the gallery page is in a separate folder, will need to include the folder name in the address (www.mysite.com/gallery/page.htm) (The page.htm will be replaced with the actual name of the page.

Does this help? If not, let me know and next time I check in or one of the other members checks the boards we will take it from here.

Thank you Mr Priester

That explains everything, I have used the Utilities > Optimize all JPEGs command but, because of the sheer number of pictures (more will be added this Summer) then apart from getting the Low Memory warning I am losing track and need to organise the site better.

Thanks again.
    I am on my knees in front of the monitor bowing and chanting "I am not worthy"

richy,
    I've had the same OOM problem with large sites (40+MB) and this is what's worked for me: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...emoval-utility

Jim

Thanks Jim
    I will certainly bear that in mind for the future.
    Richy

Jim, Jim, Jim! Thanks for that. And I hope it works for Richy as well.

I was running out of memory in my stereogram program trying to save a 3 foot by 2 foot stereogram overlay at 300dpi and consistently could not complete because of memory issues. I just successfully saved the file after using Xrish's suggested utility and method.

Life is good once again.

And no Richy, you are not worthy, but get off your knees and we won't mention it again.

Gary, you're welcome. Just returning the favor.

Jim