Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Web Designer MX (v8) Just Launched

I think if xara could of added something similar to extensions it would be a far better all round product . :-)
    Seems to me that what WYSYWYG WB calls 'Extensions' (◄ check the list) is covered with Xara's 'Widgets' and also Covoxer's Tweakset. Both of which 'extend' the possibilities for your Xara built website.

I just upgraded to MX8 Premium. I am very, very, very pleased with the new upgrade! It has three of my personal wish list items - embedded fonts, graphical bullets, and resizable slideshow widgets. Plus it has a wealth of other new featurees that I didn't even realize I needed - Text styles, smart page resizing, in-line graphics, popup layer close, etc. And to top it all off, Xara added new themes and a bunch of clipart & other graphics. There is just sooooo much that any web designer using Xara would be foolish not to spend a few dollars (or euros) to upgrade.

I'm still wishing for a native form builder, though. Plus I was hoping that the update would include more background design features, such as those available with the tweaks.

Also, I hope that Xara will integrate jquery effects and mega-menus when it updates the menu maker. If it does, it will definitely be on my "need to buy" list.

Overall...a great job by Xara, once again.

I really don't understand the price complaints...aside from the fact that the cost for Xara products (even if you by Designer Pro) is much, much more affordable than the Adobe or Corel products, Xara is better software! Dreamweaver is the past...Xara is the future!

It seems pretty obvious that "coders" are not designers. The web design software that focuses on "code" versus WYSIWYG design is becoming more and more obsolete. The internet is a "visual" medium....and design impact is extremely significant. Granted that the orgins of the internet were based upon "document sharing" among scientist-types, but it has evolved to be so much more than a "document" based medium. I believe that even HTML has a limited life...unless it continues to evolve to embrace the visual and multi-media aspects of the web.

I have never see any compagny charge a fee for the use of paypal. Xara's upgrade price is reasonable, but they charching an extra 15 dollars fee for a purchase with paypal. Unfortunately I have to pay a few extra euros to upgrade!

I have Magix Web Designer 6.
    Do I qualify for an upgrade to Xara Web Designer 8 MX?
    Thanks.

Hi Orio, welcome to TalkGraphics.

You can find the upgrade offers at this link http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/buy/
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Orio, welcome to TalkGraphics.
    You can find the upgrade offers at this link http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/buy/
    Thank you Bill.
    It says that I can upgrade from version 6, but it wouldn't say if I can upgrade from Magix branded version.

You would need to contact http://sales.xara.com for more information.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I agree, having followed the same path as you. I always dream that Xara (Computer Concepts) will check back and reward our loyalty.
    In the end though, the products are good and I relegate the older versions to other machines for emergencies.
    I think Xara could offer to buy the old ones back for their affiliate values; a form of software recycling.

I am about to trade my Xara skills for cash so the payback for over twenty years of upgrades might be realised.

Quote Originally Posted by pbready View Post
    Anyone else think the upgrade prices are high? For someone who's upgraded thru the various versions of Web Designer, Xtreme or whatever (and before then from Artworks and Impression, with elements of the latter apparently sneaking gradually into the new products - when are we going to have master pages?), it seems it would be cheaper to walk in as a new customer rather than a longstanding one who has invested a lot over the years. Or am I mistaken?

One thing I really liked in ver 7 was that you could export to a pdf file. I do not find that option in MX. Am I missing it? In ver 7 you could click on file/export then choose pdf as the file type. I also seems that many of the page options are missing. Under file/page options, the only page size options are web page sizes and you can't change units to inches if you want. I really like the bullet/list features and the object positioning, but am not sure those are worth loosing some of the other things. I use export to pdf alot.