Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default convert to editable shape in new MX?

Hi,

I have the trial of MX and am looking for the ability to convert to an editable shape from the shapes that can be drawn. It says it there in the HELP, but I don't see it under the ARRANGE tab. Thank you in advance!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: convert to editable shape in new MX?

Are you trialing the Premium version? In the premium version just draw your quick shape and the draw a rectangle bigger than your shape and place it behind your shape. select both and hit ctrl+3 to intersect.

I'm not sure if the standard version has this capability.

I can't find anywhere in the MX premium help files where it mentions the ability to convert to editable shapes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

From the help file
    For preset shapes such as rectangles or ellipses, or if you want to edit the outline of your text character shapes, you need to convert the object to an editable shape first. You can do this by selecting the "Ctrl + 1" key shortcut. You can then use the Shape Editor Tool to perform various advanced vector editing.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you for the quick replies! I'm trying MK Premium but didn't see that in the HELP. Thanks again!

Glad that I could help.

I use the help search feature and Drawing Tools was at the top of the list of results. That is where I found the reference to using Ctrl+1 to convert to editable shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drawing-tools.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	88393  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Web Designer does not have a specific Convert to Editable Shapes command. Photo and Graphic Designer and Designer Pro do have this feature.

So the methods Bill and Frances are suggesting is how this has to be done.

One would think that if consistency between products were the goal, then an entry in the Arrange menu for Convert to Editable Shapes should be essential instead of the Add Shapes (Ctrl 1) work around.

If you have selected a SINGLE object and press Ctrl + 1 (Arrange - Combine Shapes - Add Shapes) then the object will be converted to a shape, similar to the Convert to Editable Shapes option in PGD/DP.

However, and here's where the critical difference between Convert to Editable Shapes and Add Shapes comes in.

If you select multiple objects the behaviour of each option is completely different:

Add Shapes - does what it says on the tin, the multiple objects get combined into one shape.

Convert to Editable Shapes - converts all objects within the selection to shapes, keeping them as individual objects still.

So... if you want to convert an object to an editable shape in Web Designer MX or MX Premium, select each single object individually and press Ctrl + 1.

Thanks Pete.

Perhaps in a future version the Convert to Editable Shapes may be included in Web Designer?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update