Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 HELP! Mouse Icon Not Changing to 'hand' when Hovering Over a Link.

I have links on my site which do the expected. When you hover over them, the mouse cursor changes to a hand, as expected.

But there's a link I've done - and redone - several times, and no matter what I do the cursor always stays as an arrow.

When you hover, the pop-up works, and when you click the link, that works too. The cursor just won't change to an arrow on hover.

Does anyone have any idea as to where the fault could lie? I've compared with other links, looking for a difference, but can't seem to see one.

Help much appreciated.

Regards

Staggers.

Default Re: HELP! Mouse Icon Not Changing to 'hand' when Hovering Over a Link.

Hi Staggers could you upload a .WEB or .XAR file for us to have a look at ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Hi Staggers could you upload a .WEB or .XAR file for us to have a look at ?

Not there right now..... But here's an update, just to see if it narrows things down.

Previously, I did an image, then created a layer, pasted the image in place on the new layer and did a glow effect on it.

I've been very careful to remember which layers are visible and which layer I'm actually on (newbie hell for me when I first started, but like riding a bike now). In the mouse-off layer I then put the layer link, and the target url. And it all works fine.

I did the link in question the same way (as far as I can see) and got the results previously described, namely that the cursor wouldn't change to a hand.

So here's the update:

Since then, I did another link. Same way. Same result. It's as if any link I do from now will be the same, for the same reason, whatever that reason is. So I wondered if there's some site-wide option I've accidentally selected.

But here's a new observation. When I looked very closely during the process, if I selected the link I made the other day, or any other, for that matter, I get the mouse close to the link and it changes like it should.

With these new ones, however, if I edge the mouse as slowly as possible towards the image concerned there's a sudden appearance of the windows blue 'wait' circle, I can hear the drive working, and then it's as I described. Now that happens with no other link. It sounds as if there's image swapping going on as it loads the 'mouseover' image.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Regards

Staggers.

EDIT: And here's another thing... If I actually click on the link, it changes to a hand and then goes to the new page! I know I'm doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what.

NEXT EDIT: OK, you can forget it.

Found the answer. New it would be simple. I was forgetting to copy the link url to the new layer. Ho hum. Works now.

Thanks, DRWYD for your time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But while I'm here, I have a question I was going to ask anyway. If this should have been a new thread I apologize.

Do you, or anyone else here, know about font creation in general, and more particularly, how on earth to map a font to a keyboard once it does exist? This putative font would have symbols that never existed before (not like Klingon!), but would have to be available with as few strokes as possible. Think normal keyboard, but with something like 56 extra symbols (that's upper and lower case examples of each). Some of these symbols do already exist in things like Greek fonts and so on, but some have never existed.

I'm trying to find this info for someone else and it's driving me mad. I know about font creation (a bit) and the Private Use Area, but as to how to map all this I'm completely lost. But the person concerned is determined I should find more info, so any help would be very much appreciated!
    Last edited by staggers; 25 March 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: I'm a moron.

Glad you got it sorted

We have a new Font Forum