Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Automatic Notice ?

When something new has been implemented or significant content has change on a website, I like to notify viewers of the change.

Currently I add some mouseover popups to "empty" space of the 1st page. In general it works okay, but it always depends upon where the viewer places their mouse when the site is first opened before clicking a navigation button or menu item.

I was wondering if there was a way to make a popup appear automatically when a site is initially opened. Or maybe there is some sort of a "notification" widget to do this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	88257  
    Last edited by jclements; 23 March 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Default Re: Automatic Notice ?

No widget that I know of but you could just include a graphic, Updated xx/xx/xx.

You would need to decide whether you desire to have the pop-up on every page load, or a visitor's first load. In the first case, you can use a fairly simple javascript. In the second case, you need a little more complicated javascript, one that sets and reads cookies. Either way is doable.

Google "javascript notification popup code one-time" or "javascript notification popup code" for the appropriate action.

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the links. The ones I tried required a user to answer a response to close the message.

What I hoping hoping for is a message that appears and disappears when the user moves the mouse or times itself out after X number of seconds.

Or a javascript that automatically opens a Xara Layer when the index page is initially opened (is there an equivalent to an "on file open" command in java script that Xara could use in a placeholder to trigger a PopUp layer?). The layer would then close when the user's mouse moves or times out. Similar to what happens when a mousing over for the red-dashed rectangle.

TEST.xar

Anything is possible as regards the time out. With javascript, you could code in a fade-in, fade-out as well. It all depends on how much you desire to learn to code--or rather, learn to combine code. Not all code plays well with each other, so pick a library (like jquery, etc.) and stick to code examples that all draw from it.

As for the layers, I would think that is possible as well. Look at the javascript that Xara creates to control layers (show, hide, etc).

Take care, Mike