Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: food

4 colours
    some squares and circles - with fractal fills and transparencies
    2 xara clip art
    2 hours - including watching the instruction movies... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And my first baby stepps have been taken with Xara X.

OK... it is not a McLaren... but it was fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	food.jpg 
Views:	4872 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	19283  

4 colours
    some squares and circles - with fractal fills and transparencies
    2 xara clip art
    2 hours - including watching the instruction movies... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And my first baby stepps have been taken with Xara X.

OK... it is not a McLaren... but it was fun!

....and I really like the colour palatte - very atmospheric - penny

I was expecting to see a still life of apples and grapes and bananas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Very nice image!

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

I particularly like the mist effects, the moon and the bat. Good choice of palette, too (teal being one of my favorite colors [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Allison

Thanks for your kind comments!

Xara must be a great application, when even a total newbie to any kind of P.C graphics can create something recognizable... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

That mist is masterful Risto. The moon is stunning. You deserve to be proud of the illustration.

You write that watching the xara movies was part of your process of creating the illustration. Did you find them very helpful? Although I'm a little critical of their lingering references to CorelXara, I think they are a great way to introduce the program's features. It seems unfortunate to me that new users who download the free trial don't have access to the movies when they are first investigating the program. If they did I think more would end up purchasing the program. (The solution might be for Xara Ltd. to create streaming Flash versions of the movies that could be watched online - while it would be a big project, it could greatly enhance their marketing).

Sorry my attention strayed - "Food" is a great illustration and I look forward to seeing your future Xara works of art.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on February 01, 2001 at 09:58 AM.]

I think Gary's tutorials are more useful when it come to learning Xara than the movies. He shows how the different tools can be applied to "real" tasks/projects. Actually, if it wasn't for Gary's tutorials I would probably just have surfed by these amazingly educational forums.

The movies are just an easier, more lazy way to get to know the different tools. You just sit back with a bowl of popcorn and a beer...

But I would think that Gary's tutorials have sealed a great number of sales of Xara - mine was one for sure.

Your's and Ivan's great techniques must have sold a good number of copies of Xara X also.

These forums are an amazing resource - people are very lucky they exist.

An landscape I can easily enter in. Really like the atmosphere.

About the movies: When you don't come from CorelXara, you only wonder why this one movie is included, especially as this app is no longer available. BUT it contains ideas on what can be done with Xara in general, and that makes it interesting. I watched all the movies at least three times, and noted everything that was said about less evident tricks. Combining these with Gary's Xealot book, and trying things out, you get a basic knowledge. The tutorials add some practice, and the knack, I mean, the moment that you have Xara in your fingertips, will come in due time.
    But I have the impression that the (my?) most fundamental problem is that you tend to search for too complicated solutions, certainly when you've tried to learn one of the Dinosaurs...

About the commercial side: When I mailed Mick at Xara, I also mentioned the idea of including the half an hour intro movie when Xara is presented on magazine CDRoms. He mailed back that they'd just recently managed to give it a decent file size.

He also asked, as he/they cannot visit this forum every day, to mail them directly when there appears to be a problem, and to include your system's specifications.