Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Maximum Website Size?

Thanks, pauland.

Allen
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ashtangakasha View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has knowledge of the point(s) at which scale becomes a real issue. At least some idea whether it begins at 50 pages or 150, or with 100 images or 500.

Perhaps someone can point me to a few Xara sites that are seriously large?

Cheers,

Allen
    Checkout my site nriinformation.com made with xara web desinger premium and has almost 300 pages. Its made in four sections as a single website.
    IP

As has been said it really is a case of the total size of the images and not the amount of pages, when bringing in a photo don't bring in the original if it is large, also optimise the images that you do use and you should be ok. The first site I did was over 60mb (the .web file) but now that I have gotten to know the software they are typically just 3-5mb in size for a typical 5 page site.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk
    IP

50 pages and 500 images starts looking at memory shortages. That's about the limit on MX. Splitting into subsites makes editing easier - remember, its the pages ie the software, on your computer that are having the memory problem, not the servers.
    IP

Guest Guest

I am also afraid that I need to divide my current page into separate sub-pages due to image-count.
    While I know this is an option which is always there such of course makes global changes harder/more tedious,
    especially as one might not even be able to keep several critically large files open at the same time.
    It would really be great for Xara to finally become a 64Bit application, then such problems should belong to the past.
    (side-note to Developers: "bloated"64 Bit+multicore Photoshop CS6 starts twice as fast on an old Dualcore Machine as Designer 8 Demo, just sayin...).

I wonder however if there were no smart interim solutions thinkable for as long as there is no 64 Bit support.
    Some sort of dynamic content-unloading - so that could flag the currently important pages and gets dummy-graphics for the rest of the site.
    Such was probably easier if Xara just referenced Graphics instead of embedding them but does that really mean that all images
    have to be kept in memory at all time?
    Last edited by polyxo; 24 May 2012 at 08:50 AM.
    IP

I have a little less than 50 pages on my site.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ArchMed1 View Post
    I have a little less than 50 pages on my site.
    Thanks for the info but as the Thread is 10 years old, the concept is a little stale as Xara has moved to 64-bit implementations so prior limitations on computer memory have gone.

That said, xara still struggles as a DTP will a large number of pages, fewer pages with more images and a photo-bound presentation.
    The range now might be (1,000pg, 0img) spanning through to (50pg, 1,000img).

If working on an image-bound design, I place all my images is a separate folder and link them in.
    The file size saving is dramatic.

Acorn

Closing this Thread - please start a new Thread if metrics are so important.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP